1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Center of Mass in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates of a cone with constant density ##\rho(\vec{r})##. (The cone is inverted, i.e. it's thinnest point is at ##z=0##.)

2. Relevant equations
    ##m=\int\int\int_C \rho r \, drdzd\theta##
    ##\overline{r}=\int\int\int_C r\cdot r\, drdzd\theta##
    ##r_{CM}=\frac{\overline{r}}{m}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm quite confused about calculating the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates since my results don't make any sense intuitively. Since the integrations are pretty trivial I will just post how I calculated ##m## and then the results of the other integrals. ##m=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}\rho r\, drdzd\theta=\frac{\pi \rho R^2h}{3}##, ##\overline{r}=\frac{\pi R^3h}{6}##, ##\overline{z}=\frac{\pi R^2h^2}{4}##, ##\overline{\theta}=\frac{\pi^2 R^2h}{3}##, ##r_{CM}=\frac{R}{2\rho}##, ##z_{CM}=\frac{3h}{4\rho}##, ##\theta_{CM}=\frac{\pi}{\rho}##, now clearly these three values won't give the position of the center of mass, i.e. ##f_{CM}=(r_{CM}, \theta_{CM}, z_{CM})##. To me it seems like this will just give the center of mass with respect to each axis and therefore it doesn't make sense to have have a point defined by the three center of mass locations for each axis. Also the value for ##\theta_{CM}## does not make any sense, it doesn't even make sense how there can be a ##\theta_{CM}## when the cone has constant density.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't say on which axis the cone is centred. I'll assume it's the z axis, as otherwise the cylindrical coordinates will be inappropriate for the calculations.
    Then symmetry considerations dictate that the COM is on the z axis. So your result ##r_{CM}=\frac{R}{2\rho}## looks like it can't be correct. Also, ##\theta_{CM}## will be undefined, because the COM is on the z axis. THe only value that needs to be calculated is ##z_{CM}##.

Can you set out your calculations behind the results you quote?

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    Yep it is along the z axis.

Yea my interpretation of this result is that it made sense when considering a cross section (Right Triangle) of the various radii.

Ok... with ##m=\frac{\pi\rho R^2h}{3}##.
    $$\overline{r}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}r^2\,drdzd\theta=2\pi\int_{0}^{h}\frac{r^3}{3}\Big |_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}dz=\frac{2\pi R^3}{3h^3}\int_0^{h}z^3\,dz=\frac{2\pi R^3}{3h^3}\frac{h^4}{4}=\frac{\pi R^3h}{6} \\
    \overline{z}=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^h\int_0^{\frac{Rz}{h}}rz\,drdzd\theta=2\pi\int_0^h \frac{R^2z^2}{2h^2}z\,{dz}=\frac{\pi R^2}{h^2}\frac{z^4}{4}\Big |_0^h=\frac{\pi R^2h^2}{4}\\
    \overline{\theta}=\int_0^h\int_0^{\frac{Rz}{h}}\int_0^{2\pi}r\theta\,d\theta drdz=2\pi^2\int_0^h\int_0^\frac{Rz}{h}r\,drdz=\pi^2\int_0^h\frac{R^2z^2}{h^2}dz=\frac{\pi^2 R^2}{h^2}\frac{z^3}{3}\Big|_0^h\\ \overline{\theta}=\frac{\pi^2R^2h}{3}
    $$
    Now to calculate the COMs:

$$r_{CM}=\frac{\overline{r}}{m}=\frac{R}{2\rho}\\
    z_{CM}=\frac{\overline{z}}{m}=\frac{3h}{4\rho} \\
    \theta_{CM}=\frac{\overline{\theta}}{m}=\frac{\pi}{\rho}
    $$

Edit: It appears as though my mistake is calculating things such as ##r_{CM}## and ##\theta_{CM}##, to obtain the proper results all the integrals should start in cartesian and then be transformed into cylindrical which will give our answer in cartesian. By inspection this makes both the ##\overline{x}## and ##\overline{y}## integrals 0 since they will have a ##\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta## term respectively and this will be integrated from 0 to 2##\pi##. The ##\overline{z}## integral remains the same and thus the COM becomes ##(0,0,\frac{3}{4}h)##

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted