1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimizing with Derivatives I think

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You're on the moon and you need a bit from the base 900 feet away so you can continue your experiment. The base has a roover/launcher used for retrieving the bit. The roover can move a max dist of 600 feet. The launcher is controled by angle. At this time the angle is inclined at 70 degrees. It cost $375 per foot to move the roover, and $20,000 per degree to change the launch angle. What are the optimal settings (what angle should I launch from where) to minimize cost?

acceleration due to grav on moon = 5.31 ft/s^2
    initial velocity of bit leaving launcher = 75 ft/s

2. Relevant equations

R = V^2(sin(2x))/g ; where R = total distance, V= Velocity, x= theta (some angle) and g= gravitational acceleration.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made an equation for constraint and pne for the optimaization.

900 = [[(75^2)*sin(2x)]/5.31]+ y ; where y = distance roover moves and x = theta

minCost = [20000*|70-x|]+2y(375) ; |...| = absolute value, 2y because the roover has to return to base.

I remember doing problems like this in HS but I need help with this one. I solved for y in the constraint equation, then substiituted it in for y in the optimization equation. Here's what I got:

minCost= [-7.945*(10^5)*sin(2x)+675000+20000*|x-70|]

Now if im correct I get the 1st derivative of this and I will get the extrema or something like that which will be the optimal angle. Then I plug that into the first equation and get y....

But how do I find the first derivative. This might not even be the right method so please help thatnks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2
    whoops wrong section
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?