1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc BC derivative problem with trig and double angle -- Help please

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find f'(x) if f(x) = 8^(sin^2(3x))
    Hint: you will need to use the double angle formula for trig functions and your answer should only have one trig function in it.

2. Relevant equations
    if y=a^u then y' = ln a * a^u * du
    sin(2x) = 2sinxcosx

3. The attempt at a solution
    We're only on the second chapter so I'm not sure if we really need the first equation I gave, which is from the fifth chapter (but I'm in BC so maybe she expects us to know it already?). Still, using that equation I got f'(x) = ln 8 * 8^(sin^2(3x)) * 3sin6x

The 3sin6x came from when I took the derivative of sin^2(3x) and converted it from 6sin3xcos3x to 3sin6x

But I don't know how my teacher (an online teacher) wanted the answer to only have one trig function? Did I mess up somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2
    In terms of sin2θ, cos(2θ)=??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted