Optimum (min/max) of a symmetric function

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and uniqueness of the optimum value of a symmetric function f(x_1,x_2,...,x_n). The argument suggests that if the optimum exists, it should be at the point where all the variables x_i are equal. However, this argument may not hold true if the function is not convex or has multiple global maxima. The conversation also touches upon the properties of the function, such as its symmetry and differentiability, and questions whether these properties can provide insights into its convexity.
NaturePaper
Hi all,
I'm wondering if the following argument is right:

"The optimum (minimum/maximum) value of a symmetric function f(x_1,x_2,...,x_n) (By 'symmetric' I mean that f remains same if we alter any x_i's with x_j's), if exists, should be at the point x_1=x_2=...=x_n".

Please help me by proving (or disproving, i.e, a counter example) this argument. I have examine some well-known symmetric functions and these obey the rules. However, a general proof (or reference to literature, document etc.) is needed.

[I think this may be right, in the sense that the graph of the function (in n+1 dimensional space) should be symmetric about all axes, so if f has optimum at x_1=a, by the symmetry of the curve, x_2=...=x_n=a.]

Regards,
NaturePaper

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume that you mean that the optimum, if it exists, should be unique. Say it is some point [tex](a_1,\ldots,a_n)[/tex], but then [tex]a_1=\ldots=a_n[/tex], because otherwise one could interchange two coordinates to obtain another optimum.

@yyat,
Oh..., Let us consider the global optimum (min/max) for f. For convex f, it is known that every local optimum is the global optimum. However, I don't know whether f is convex or not. But I think the following discussion is right:

Let f has a global optimum (by definition, it is unique). Then the set of points where f attains it should contain the point x_1=x_2=...=x_n= some constant, by your argument.

Am I right?

Regards
NaturePaper

By uniqueness I meant that the optimum is only achieved at a single point, otherwise the argument becomes false. For example, consider the function on R^2 that is mostly 0 but has two http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_function" at (1,0) and (0,1) that are mirror images of themselves with respect to the diagonal (x_1=x_2). Then the function has two global maxima, but none of them on the diagonal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, if I restrict f to be symmetric, even function [i.e. f(-X)=f(X)], any number of time differentiable, then is it possible to make any comment about its global optimum?
At least, is f convex etc...?

Actually, my function f is like f=[g(x_1,x-2,...,x_n)]^2, where g is symmetric, bounded and any time differentiable. Is it possible to comment about the convexity of f etc?

Regards,
NaturePaper

What is the definition of "optimum" in a symmetric function?

The optimum of a symmetric function is the highest or lowest point on the graph of the function that is symmetrical about a certain point or axis.

How can the optimum of a symmetric function be identified?

The optimum of a symmetric function can be identified by finding the point where the function is at its highest or lowest and is also symmetrical about a certain point or axis.

Can there be more than one optimum in a symmetric function?

Yes, there can be more than one optimum in a symmetric function. If the function has multiple points of symmetry, there can be multiple optima at those points.

What role does symmetry play in determining the optimum of a function?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the optimum of a function as it helps to identify the points where the function is at its highest or lowest. Without symmetry, it would be difficult to locate the optimum of a function.

Is the optimum of a symmetric function always the same for all cases?

No, the optimum of a symmetric function can vary depending on the specific case. It is important to consider the specific parameters and conditions of the function in order to determine the optimum for each case.