1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimzation problem, only info given are xy intercepts

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose P(a,b) is a fixed point in Quadrant 1 of an xy-plane and line L is descending in the plane such that P is on line L. Let Q=(xknot,0) and R=(0,yknot) be the x and y intercepts for line L and let

S= 1/(xknot + yknot)

1. Express S as a function of xknot
    2. Find any extreme values for S

I know how to do number 2 but number 1 stumps me, how do I get yknot to become xknot?

2. Relevant equations

for 2. quotient rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    so far I have got L=-(y/x) + y using y=mx+b (descending line means it's linear right?)

in another attempt I find the equation of the line using point RP and then PQ then setting them equal to each other to solve for yknot. I use that to plug into S. S would be expressed in terms of xknot and the a and b are constants. If I find the critical numbers of S with this, it comes out very ugly and does not seem like the answer.

HOW DO I APPROACH THIS PROBLEM (it is supposedly an optimization problem).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's pronounced like "knot" but the word is "nought", which is synonomous with zero.

What does it mean that (a, b) is a fixed point? That's key to this problem.

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3
    I think fixed point P(a,b) means that, plug in "a" into equation L results with "a."
    I get

S = (x0-a)/x0^2

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. Nov 19, 2012 #4
    Am I going in the right direction?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Nov 20, 2012 #5
    Quick question:

since x0 and a are points on the graph, is it say to say that the first derivative of S is 0 since they are constants?

7. Nov 20, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]P= (x_0, 0)[/itex] and [itex]Q= (0, y_0)[/itex] then the equation of the line is [itex]x/x_0+ y/y_0= 1[/tex] or [itex]y= y_0- (y_0/x_0)x[/itex]. [itex]x_0[/itex] is NOT a point on the graph it is number- the x-value of the x-intercept. The "derivative of S", since it is a line, is the slope of the line, [itex]y_0/x_0[/itex].

No, it means that if you put x= a into the equation of the line, you get y= b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook