Options for College: Physics, Biology, Engineering

• Thread starter cristycs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary: Immunology.For the second option these are the courses in Physics: Physics of fluids; Statistical physics; Electrostatics and magnetostatics; Quantum field theory; Electromagnetism and optics; Nuclear physics; Elementary particle physics; Statistical mechanics; Low-dimensional quantum field theory; Introduction to astrophysics; Physical phenomena in the atmosphere; Physical environment; And this for Engineering Physics: Mechanics; Fluid mechanics; heat and mass transfer; Strength of materials; Engineering thermodynamics; Introduction to electric power systems; Introduction to renewable energy.
cristycs
Hello Physicsforum community!

I want to go to college next year and for the moment these are my options:
My first option is BSc in Ecology & Environment and a MSc in Integrated approach to natural sciences. My second option that I am considering is BSc.Eng Engineering Physics.My question first question is: after a MSc in science where my courses are split in 3 (physics, biology, chemistry courses) can I do a Physics or Biology phd?

And my second question is : after a BSc.Eng Engineering Physics can I do a MEng in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering ?PS: these are all areas that I have a passion for. I don't care about money or how many jobs there are. And the education sistem here doesn't permit me to have additional courses outside of my degree curriculum without doing a separate degree.

Thx in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Probably not. For one I don't think that it would be enough physics for the PGRE, but biology graduate programs may be different. I also don't think it would be enough physics backgrounds for a ms/phd program in physics let alone for direct entry into the Phd. Look at the specific courses covered in a typical university physics curriculum and the courses you would compete should you go on this route. To be competitive you should finish the overwhelming majority of it.

2) Definitely. Phd programs I've looked at accept degrees in related fields and I would think Meng programs are much less demanding.

The safest option would be the bsc in engineering physics - it would enable you to apply to graduate programs in physics, ee, or me, at any level you want (Meng, MS, PhD). Certain schools might give slight preferential treatment to people who have the bachelors degree in the exact field they are applying to but it wouldn't be significant.

prettymidget said:
1) Probably not. For one I don't think that it would be enough physics for the PGRE, but biology graduate programs may be different. I also don't think it would be enough physics backgrounds for a ms/phd program in physics let alone for direct entry into the Phd. Look at the specific courses covered in a typical university physics curriculum and the courses you would compete should you go on this route. To be competitive you should finish the overwhelming majority of it.

2) Definitely. Phd programs I've looked at accept degrees in related fields and I would think Meng programs are much less demanding.

The safest option would be the bsc in engineering physics - it would enable you to apply to graduate programs in physics, ee, or me, at any level you want (Meng, MS, PhD). Certain schools might give slight preferential treatment to people who have the bachelors degree in the exact field they are applying to but it wouldn't be significant.
Thx very much that was really helpfull. Now I'm like 80% decided on option nr.2.For the first option these are the courses in Physics: Physical mechanics; Thermal physics; Electricity and Magnetism; Experimental methods in photonics, spectroscopy, plasma and lasers. Applications; Thermodynamics; Quantum mechanics; Molecular Biophysics; Atomic and Nuclear Physics; Elements of statistical physics with modern applications; Particle physics and introduction to astrophysics; Physical phenomena in the atmosphere; Physical environment; And this for Biology: Plant biology; Animal biology; General Biochemistry; Microbiology - immunology; Plant physiology; Animal physiology; Genetics; Biophysics; Elements bio-inorganics; Cellular organization of genetic material; Organic compounds and biomolecules; Cellular and Molecular Physiology; Molecular Biophysics; Human Biology;

Last edited:

Related to Options for College: Physics, Biology, Engineering

1. What career options are available with a degree in physics?

There are many career options with a degree in physics, including research, teaching, engineering, data analysis, and even finance. Physics can also lead to opportunities in fields such as medicine, materials science, and renewable energy.

2. How does a degree in biology prepare me for medical school?

A degree in biology provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and concepts of life sciences, such as anatomy, physiology, and cell biology. This knowledge is essential for success in medical school and will help you understand the complexities of the human body.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within engineering?

Yes, there are various specializations within engineering, such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, and civil engineering. It is important to choose a specialization based on your interests and career goals.

4. What sets engineering apart from other science fields?

Engineering is a field that applies scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and improve technologies and systems that solve real-world problems. This hands-on and practical approach sets it apart from other science fields.

5. Is a strong background in math necessary for studying physics or engineering?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in physics and engineering. These fields heavily rely on mathematical concepts and formulas to explain and solve complex problems. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and other advanced math topics.