Orbit precessions - General Relativity vs Newton

In summary: It isn't. In Newton-Cartan theory there is no precession. I agree with your statement that precession is caused by such an additional term, and I'm not sure if this visualization is really an explanation. As I understand, already for scalar theories in flat space(time) one can find that an orbit does not close after a full rotation, hence giving precession.
Basically, he major cause of orbit precession is that gravity travels at the speed of light, so that Mercury is not attracted to where the sun is, but to where the sun was.

Physics news on Phys.org
eltodesukane said:
Basically, he major cause of orbit precession is that gravity travels at the speed of light, so that Mercury is not attracted to where the sun is, but to where the sun was.
This is wrong. Discussed many times here.

Last edited:
Likes bcrowell
eltodesukane said:
That is false. If that were the way gravity worked, orbits would be wildly unstable, and this was known even by Newton (he was reluctant to propose instant action at a distance but did so when he analyzed that a propagation delay would fail to explain stable orbits).

Here is a reference to the whole issue of apparent instant action at a distance in GR:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909087

Likes bcrowell
eltodesukane said:
Seems I was wrong, situation not so simple.
Thanks for the reference.
Steven Carlip, Aberration and the Speed of Gravity (arXiv:gr-qc/9909087v2)
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9909087