1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orbital Angular Momentum as Generator for Circular Translations

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Taken from Binney's Text, pg 143.

21e509d.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From equation (7.36): we see that ##\delta a## is in the direction of the angle rotated, ##\vec{x}## is the position vector, and ##\vec{n}## is the unit normal to the plane of rotation.

51dctx.png

But at the last line of (7.37), we see that ##\vec{\alpha} = \alpha \vec{n}##. Why is the angle rotated now the same direction as the unit normal to the plane?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question. But, I think it's just a matter of definition. The symbol ##\vec{\alpha}## is defined to be ##\alpha \hat{n}##. Note how Binney uses the definition symbol (or equivalence symbol) [itex]\equiv[/itex]. This definition allows the rotation operator ##U## to be written more compactly. An angle of rotation has a certain magnitude about a certain axis. In this case ##\alpha## is the angle of rotation and ##\hat{n}## is the direction of the axis of rotation. The notation ##\vec{\alpha} = \alpha \hat{n}## is just a way to express that.

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3
    If ##\alpha## is the angle of rotation and ##\hat{n}## is the direction vector of rotation, then wouldn't ##\delta a = \delta \alpha## x ##x## be into the plane, perpendicular to the plane of rotation?

5. Mar 21, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\hat{n}## is a unit vector perpendicular to the plane of rotation. It points along the axis of rotation. So, ##\hat{n} \times \vec{x}## lies in the plane of rotation.

Since ##\vec{\alpha} = \alpha \hat{n}##, ##\vec{\alpha}## also lies along the axis of rotation (perpendicular to the plane of rotation). For example, a rotation in the x-y plane of ##\pi## radians could be written ##\vec{\alpha} = \pi \hat{z}##

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5
    That doesn't make sense at all..Usually ##\vec{\alpha}## is the direction vector in which the system moves - I would say it's more like ##\alpha_x \vec{i} + \alpha_y \vec{j}##

7. Mar 22, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted