1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orders and Degrees

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1
    I was taking notes in class and the prof said that in the equation

[tex]y^(double prime)-3y^(prime)+2y = 0[/tex] that 2 was the order.. is that due to the following?

the first y = 0 when you take the derivative twice
    the second y = 0 when you derive it once
    and the first one = 2 when you derive it once

Just a question.. shouldn't I derive the first one 3 time, and the second one 2 times, because you derive 2y once?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The order of a differential equation is defined as the highest derivative that the equation contains.

Let's rewrite this as [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}-3\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=0[/tex]

Now, since the highest derivative in this equation is [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] the equation is a second order differential equation.

I'm not really sure what you're doing here!

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3
    the following is an attachment of my notes:

I don't get why the order is 2 and not -3

Attached Files:

5. Jan 6, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, read my above post!

Why do you think that the order is -3? The only way I can see you getting this is by looking at the coefficient in front of the y' term, and I'm not sure why you're doing that!

6. Jan 6, 2007 #5
    because I don't understand

7. Jan 6, 2007 #6
    think about it like the degree of a polynomial.

8. Jan 6, 2007 #7
    you know what... I thought it was the number that comes out after you derive it a few times.. not how many times you derive it

i get it now, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?