1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordinary Differential Equations - Existence/Uniqueness Proof

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    I'm having some difficulty with a problem from Boyce & DiPrima's Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, 9th Edition. The problem comes from Section 2.8: The Existence and Uniqueness Theorem and is part of a collection of problems intended to show that the sequence ##{\phi_n(t)}## converges, where

$$\phi_{n+1}(t) = \int_0^t f[s,\phi_n(s)] ds$$

with ##\phi_0(t) = 0##. The problem requires the following two results:

1) If ##\phi_{n-1}(t)## and ##\phi_n(t)## are members of the sequence ##{\phi_n(t)}## then
    $$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq K|\phi_n(t) - \phi_{n-1}(t)|$$
    where ##K## is chosen to be the maximum value of ##\frac{∂f}{∂y}## in the region ##D##.

2) If ##|t|<h##, then
    $$|\phi_1(t)| \leq M|t|$$
    where ##M## is chosen so that ##|f(t,y)|\leq M## for ##(t,y)## in ##D##.

The problem is as follows: "Use the results of Problem 16 and part (a) of Problem 17 [Results 1 and 2 above, respectively] to show that ##|\phi_2(t) - \phi_1(t)| \leq \frac{MK|t|^2}{2}##."

(The problem and results are found in Boyce & DiPrima's Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems, 9th Edition; Problem 2.8.17(b); pg. 120.)

I've been struggling with this problem even though it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. From now on I'm going to write ##\phi_n(t) = \phi_n## for the sake of laziness. I've been playing around with a few different approaches - I tried writing out the left-hand side of my desired result explicitly using the definition of ##\phi_n## which gives me

$$|\phi_2 - \phi_1| = | \int_0^t f(s,\phi_1) ds - \int_0^t f(s,\phi_0) ds | = | \int_0^t f(s,\phi_1) - f(s,\phi_0) ds | $$

I got stuck here. I can almost apply Result 1 now, but not quite since I have my integrand inside the absolute value...and even if I could it didn't yield promising results. Then I thought of using the inequality ##|x-y| \leq | |x| - |y| |## which let me express ##|\phi_1| ## using Result 2 but I was again stuck with no way to write ##|\phi_2|##.

I noticed that the right-hand side of the first result looks very similar to the left-hand side of what I wish to show when you take ##n=2## but that didn't get me very far either:

$$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq K|\phi_n(t) - \phi_{n-1}(t)|$$

So I could try to show

$$|f[t,\phi_n(t)]-f[t,\phi_{n-1}(t)| \leq \frac{MK^2|t|^2}{2}$$

But then I realized that this is only true if I assume that what I want to show is true and so this shouldn't be the approach I take.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I feel like this should be pretty straightforward, but I'm lost for ideas right now. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Starting with what you have:
    ## | \phi_2 - \phi_1 | \leq \left| \int _0^t f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) ds \right| ##
    You can move the absolute value inside the integral to get:
    ## \left| \int _0^t f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) ds \right| \leq \int _0^t \left| f(s, \phi_2) - f(s, \phi_1) \right| ds##
    Then you can apply rule 1.
    Expanding that out and doing the same steps should get you to something that looks like :
    ## \int_0^t | \phi_1 | ds ##
    Which should look like the result you need.

4. Aug 21, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

Sorry, I used the wrong subscripts on the phis inside the integral...after you apply rule 1, use the fact that ##\phi_0= 0##, and then apply rule 2.
    Just to be clear...when I see ## MK|t|^2 / 2 ##, I am looking for something that looks like ##\int_0^t MK|s| ds##.

5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I just want to mention the inequality ##|x - y| \leq \left| |x| - |y| \right|## is not true. The correct inequality would be ##|x - y| \geq \left| |x| - |y| \right|##.

You have correctly expanded the left hand side of what you want to show:

$$| \phi_2(t) - \phi_1(t) | = \left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) \space ds - \int_0^t f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right| = \left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right|$$

As RUber has stated, you can use the property ##\left| \int_a^b f(x) \space dx \right| \leq \int_a^b |f(x)| \space dx## to write:

$$\left| \int_0^t f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \space ds \right| \leq \int_0^t \left| f(s, \phi_1(s)) - f(s, \phi_0(s)) \right| \space ds$$

After applying rule #1 and the triangle inequality, you are going to wind up with something like:

$$K \int_0^t \left| \phi_1(s) - \phi_0(s) \right| \space ds \leq K \int_0^t |\phi_1(s)| + |\phi_0(s)| \space ds$$

Then you need to apply rule #2 in terms of ##s##. The condition ##\phi_0(t) = 0## will also be important to use.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted