Organic chemistry: Are all non-aromatic carbon chains aliphatic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
samy4408
Messages
62
Reaction score
9
Are all non aromatic carbon chain aliphatic ?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Carbon chain" seems a bit inprecise. If one rephrases the question to "Are all non aromatic hydrocarbons aliphatic ?" I recall the answer is yes by definition of basic classifications?

/Fredrik
 
symbolipoint said:
No, or as best I can understand, I believe no. One kind is distinct from the other kind. Review this classification from your textbook. For alternative review or maybe reenforcement, you might look at these two articles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliphatic_compound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatic_compound

I understood this stuff better, but a very very long time ago.
Incorrect. Read the first sentence of the first link you posted:
“In organic chemistry, hydrocarbons(compounds composed solely of carbon and hydrogen) are divided into two classes: aromatic compounds and aliphatic compounds”
Fra said:
"Carbon chain" seems a bit inprecise. If one rephrases the question to "Are all non aromatic hydrocarbons aliphatic ?" I recall the answer is yes by definition of basic classifications?

/Fredrik
Correct.