1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry by Robert T. Morrison and Robert N. Boyd

1. Strongly Recommend

75.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

25.0%
  1. Jan 18, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was introduced to organic chemistry by these authors. I still have one of the earlier editions it but don't reference it much. I'd probably use it exclusively if I were still tutoring chemistry though. I haven't seen the latest edition.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

The latest 7th edition is the worst book for organic chemistry I have ever seen. Everything has been made compact compromising with the quality of the text. I'd rather suggest you to go for Solomons and Fryhle. It is the best book for beginners.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    When the 7th Edition come. The International Student Edition is on 6th yet.[check amazon]

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5
    Really? I have completed this book (except biomolecules :P) and so far I have loved it. I don't think there is any reduction in the content. Both the editions are same, the 7th one is just a "rearranged" edition of the 6th.

And did someone list the book Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle?

The 7th edition is the one published in India.

7. Feb 11, 2013 #6

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Actually it is released only in India for Indian students.

8. Feb 11, 2013 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I am amazed how you are able to understand with such a concise book!

9. Feb 11, 2013 #8
    This book is not concise I have 6th Indian Edition but this is very fat comparing to J D Lee Inorganic. Also if you are using this as a self study book then the chances of getting Knowledge from this book is very Low.Read it as a second Reference Book.

10. Feb 11, 2013 #9
    I don't find it, in any way, concise. It covers almost every topic in detail. Due to lack of reactions which I encounter while solving problems, I had to buy another book.

11. Feb 12, 2013 #10

utkarshakash

Gold Member

This is what I exactly mean. I agree it is not concise. I'm not criticizing about its content in any way. In fact, no other org chem book can match up to the content it has but if you want to learn organic chemistry from the very beginning this is definitely not for you. For that I'd rather prefer Solomons over this book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook