1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking Advice on Organic Chemistry textbooks

1. Jun 27, 2014 #1
    Hello!

I have some questions about the textbooks in the organic chemistry. I have been using the organic textbooks by L.G. Wade, Clayden, and Loudon. I love those books, but I have been hearing that the textbooks wrote by Klein, Carey, Morrison Boyd, and Hornback are really good. Do I need those books to complete the introductory organic chemistry or am I fine with the books I currently have right now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2014 #2
    Hello,

You forgot to mention Vollhardt, McMurry, Smith, Bruice, Brown. :biggrin:
    I believe they are all excellent text.

What's your required text ? I'd go with that and Klein Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

4. Jun 28, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

I second the Organic chemistry as a second language book. It is worth every penny

5. Jun 28, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the advice! I do have the Second Language books by Klein in my bookshelf. The required textbook is Loudon, which is not a really good textbook. How good are Carey and Hornback compared to other textbooks I currently have?

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I looked at some of these, Klein's book looks very well organized, my gut feeling is that this is the book to learn from, and read Loudon afterwards in case it contains anything extra.

You say you have Klein's two books? I'll post links anyway, for others who might find this post in the future:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chem...NNM_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404027722&sr=1-5
    https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-II-Second-Language/dp/0471738085/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted