• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Organic Chemistry - Nomenclature Structures

• Thread starter katrina007
  • Start date
The question/direction is to: "Draw the structure of the following compound!"

2-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)octane

I tired several different ways of constructing this compound but the online homework program ACE Organic says that:
Your answer is close, but in the 1-methylethyl group, carbon 1 of the ethyl group (to which the methyl group is attached) is the carbon attached to the main chain, not the terminal carbon.
I dont know what to do or what I am missing. If anyone can help me with this it will be great. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance

C-CH2-CH3
/ (this is above the 2nd C)
CH3-C-CH2-C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3
/ (this is below the 1st C)
CH3

Last edited:

chemisttree

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The question/direction is to: "Draw the structure of the following compound!"

2-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)octane

I tired several different ways of constructing this compound but the online homework program ACE Organic says that:

I dont know what to do or what I am missing. If anyone can help me with this it will be great. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance

C-CH2-CH3
/ (this is above the 2nd C)
CH3-C-CH2-C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3
/ (this is below the 1st C)
CH3
The part in parenthesis (1-methylethyl) is a three carbon unit with methyl attached to the #1 position of the 'ethyl' group. The main chain is also attached to the ethyl group at this position. There is also has a common name for this three-carbon fragment (and it's not 'n-propyl' as you have show it). Your placement along the main (octane) chain is correct (above the 2nd C) although the term '2nd C' can be a bit confusing. You also left out a hydrogen for this carbon and the one you labelled '1st C'.

That should do it. Let us know if it doesn't work.