Organic Chemistry - Nomenclature Structures

In summary, the online homework program ACE Organic says that the structure of 2-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)octane is C-CH2-CH3.
katrina007
The question/direction is to: "Draw the structure of the following compound!"

2-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)octane

I tired several different ways of constructing this compound but the online homework program ACE Organic says that:
Your answer is close, but in the 1-methylethyl group, carbon 1 of the ethyl group (to which the methyl group is attached) is the carbon attached to the main chain, not the terminal carbon.

I don't know what to do or what I am missing. If anyone can help me with this it will be great. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance

C-CH2-CH3
/ (this is above the 2nd C)
CH3-C-CH2-C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3
/ (this is below the 1st C)
CH3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
katrina007 said:
The question/direction is to: "Draw the structure of the following compound!"

2-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)octane

I tired several different ways of constructing this compound but the online homework program ACE Organic says that:

I don't know what to do or what I am missing. If anyone can help me with this it will be great. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance

C-CH2-CH3
/ (this is above the 2nd C)
CH3-C-CH2-C-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3
/ (this is below the 1st C)
CH3

The part in parenthesis (1-methylethyl) is a three carbon unit with methyl attached to the #1 position of the 'ethyl' group. The main chain is also attached to the ethyl group at this position. There is also has a common name for this three-carbon fragment (and it's not 'n-propyl' as you have show it). Your placement along the main (octane) chain is correct (above the 2nd C) although the term '2nd C' can be a bit confusing. You also left out a hydrogen for this carbon and the one you labelled '1st C'.

That should do it. Let us know if it doesn't work.

I apologize if my answer is not exactly what you were looking for, but I am not familiar with the specific instructions of ACE Organic. However, based on the given compound name, the structure I have provided should be correct. It is important to note that in organic chemistry nomenclature, the numbering of carbons starts from the end closest to the functional group or substituent. In this case, the 1-methylethyl group is a substituent attached to the fourth carbon of the main chain, so the numbering should start from the fourth carbon and continue towards the other end. I hope this helps and best of luck with your homework!

1. What is the difference between alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes?

Alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes are all types of hydrocarbons, which means they are made up of only hydrogen and carbon atoms. The main difference between them is the way the carbon atoms are bonded. Alkanes have single bonds between carbon atoms, alkenes have one double bond between carbon atoms, and alkynes have one triple bond between carbon atoms.

2. How do I name a compound using the IUPAC system?

The IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) system is used to name organic compounds. The basic steps for naming a compound are: 1) Identify the longest continuous carbon chain in the molecule. 2) Number the carbon chain starting from the end closest to the first substituent. 3) Name the substituents using the appropriate prefixes and list them in alphabetical order. 4) Combine the substituents and the parent chain name to form the compound name.

3. What are functional groups in organic chemistry?

Functional groups are specific groups of atoms that give organic compounds their chemical and physical properties. They are responsible for the reactivity and behavior of the compound. Some common functional groups include alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, and amines.

4. How do I draw the structural formula of a compound?

The structural formula of a compound shows the arrangement of atoms and bonds in the molecule. To draw the structural formula, identify the atoms and their connections, and use lines to represent bonds between them. The number and type of bonds can be determined by the compound's molecular formula and the rules of bonding in organic chemistry.

5. What is the purpose of nomenclature in organic chemistry?

Nomenclature in organic chemistry is used to systematically name and identify organic compounds. This allows scientists to communicate and understand the structure and properties of different compounds. The IUPAC system ensures that each compound has a unique and consistent name, making it easier to study and classify organic molecules.