1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry - Nomenclature Structures

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    The question/direction is to: "Draw the structure of the following compound!"

I tired several different ways of constructing this compound but the online homework program ACE Organic says that:
    I dont know what to do or what I am missing. If anyone can help me with this it will be great. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance

/ (this is above the 2nd C)
    / (this is below the 1st C)
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The part in parenthesis (1-methylethyl) is a three carbon unit with methyl attached to the #1 position of the 'ethyl' group. The main chain is also attached to the ethyl group at this position. There is also has a common name for this three-carbon fragment (and it's not 'n-propyl' as you have show it). Your placement along the main (octane) chain is correct (above the 2nd C) although the term '2nd C' can be a bit confusing. You also left out a hydrogen for this carbon and the one you labelled '1st C'.

That should do it. Let us know if it doesn't work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?