Organic Chemistry: Haloform Reaction

In summary, the discussion is about the necessary and sufficient conditions for a compound to give a positive Haloform Test (specifically the Iodoform test). The expert states that the presence of a CH3CO- group or a strong electron-withdrawing substituent is necessary for a positive result. However, it is important to consider the role of the reactant, alkali iodine, and a slight excess should be included. The mechanism involves iodination of the methyl group followed by base removal of H+ ions and nucleophilic attack of the intermediate to form iodoform. It is now confirmed that the presence of a MeCO- group is necessary for a positive result.
maverick280857
Hi

What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a compound to give a positive Haloform Test (Iodoform test for instance)?

Is it necessary to have a [itex]CH_{3}CO-[/itex] group or is it necessary to have a [itex]XCH_{2}-[/itex] group where X is some group? Is the occurence of a [itex]CH_{3}CO-[/itex] group a sufficient condition?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this...

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Haloform test is ideally positive for methyl ketones; the C=O group attached to a methyl group increases the overall acidity of methyl protons due to tautomerization to enol form. So the X you wrote should be a strong electron withdrawing substituent, or at least a group with a highly electronegative atom.

However, you should take into account that the reactant is alkali iodine, or hypoiodite; so any reactant capable of reducing hypoiodite would consume it, causing a positive error. It would be wise to include a bit excess of hypoiodite.

Try to find the mechanism responsible for iodoform formation, the mechanism probably goes from an enol intermediate.

Good luck.

Thanks chem_tr...

I am referring to the reaction of a given compound with KOH/I2 which we call the Iodoform Test. The mechanism as I know it involves first the iodination of the Me group attached to the carbonyl carbon to a CI3 group followed by "base removal of H+ ions" with a I- nucleophile successively attacking the intermediate to finally form iodoform (precipitate).

So it now does appear that having a MeCO- group is a necessary condition...

Thanks and cheers
vivek

1. What is the Haloform reaction in organic chemistry?

The Haloform reaction is a type of chemical reaction that involves the conversion of a methyl ketone (containing a methyl group bonded to a carbonyl carbon) to a haloform (a compound containing a carbon atom bonded to three halogen atoms). This reaction is commonly used in organic synthesis to introduce halogen atoms into a molecule.

2. What are the key steps in the Haloform reaction?

The Haloform reaction involves three key steps: 1) the formation of an enolate ion by the deprotonation of the methyl ketone with a base, 2) the halogenation of the enolate ion, and 3) the formation of the haloform compound by the loss of a halogen atom and the formation of a carbanion.

3. What are the main applications of the Haloform reaction?

The Haloform reaction has several important applications in organic chemistry, including the synthesis of halogenated compounds for use as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and industrial chemicals. It is also commonly used to identify the presence of a methyl ketone in a compound through the production of a distinct haloform compound.

4. What are the limitations of the Haloform reaction?

One of the main limitations of the Haloform reaction is that it is only applicable to methyl ketones, as other types of ketones do not undergo the necessary enolization step. Additionally, the reaction can be slow and may require harsh reaction conditions, and it may also produce unwanted side products.

5. How can the efficiency of the Haloform reaction be improved?

The efficiency of the Haloform reaction can be improved by using a more efficient base for the enolization step, such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, and optimizing the reaction conditions (temperature, solvent, etc.). Additionally, using a catalyst or a different halogenating agent can also increase the yield of the desired haloform compound.