Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Organic Chemistry: No. of chiral centres in Camphor

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1
    Hello. I have a query regarding organic chemistry.

1. http://tinyurl.com/y9nvg2p
    See question number 21.

2. Relevant equations: None

3. The first Carbon atom beneath the top-most CH3 group I can tell is a chiral centre, as it has 4 different groups attached to it (C=O, CH2, CH3, C). Apparently the answer is C, i.e 2 chiral centres. I can't locate the second one.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

danago

Gold Member

How about the bottom-most carbon atom?

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    That's the answer, but I couldn't put together a solid reasoning. Normally chiral compounds that we're supposed to identify have, I don't know what to call it, terminal ends? E.g, like the chiral carbon would be bonded to H, OH, CH3, CO2H. That ring confused me. Taking the entire ring as a group, that Carbon is attached to the same group on both the ends.

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

danago

Gold Member

You can do a similar kind of analysis even though it is a ring. If you look at the group directly either side of the bottom carbon, they are indeed the same (-CH2), however if you move along and look at the next group, it is a CH2 on the left side and a C=O on the right side i.e. The ring is not symmetrical, so you can kind of think of it as being bonded to 4 different groups.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook