1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Organic Chemistry: No. of chiral centres in Camphor

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1
    Hello. I have a query regarding organic chemistry.

1. http://tinyurl.com/y9nvg2p
    See question number 21.

2. Relevant equations: None

3. The first Carbon atom beneath the top-most CH3 group I can tell is a chiral centre, as it has 4 different groups attached to it (C=O, CH2, CH3, C). Apparently the answer is C, i.e 2 chiral centres. I can't locate the second one.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

danago

Gold Member

How about the bottom-most carbon atom?

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    That's the answer, but I couldn't put together a solid reasoning. Normally chiral compounds that we're supposed to identify have, I don't know what to call it, terminal ends? E.g, like the chiral carbon would be bonded to H, OH, CH3, CO2H. That ring confused me. Taking the entire ring as a group, that Carbon is attached to the same group on both the ends.

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

danago

Gold Member

You can do a similar kind of analysis even though it is a ring. If you look at the group directly either side of the bottom carbon, they are indeed the same (-CH2), however if you move along and look at the next group, it is a CH2 on the left side and a C=O on the right side i.e. The ring is not symmetrical, so you can kind of think of it as being bonded to 4 different groups.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook