Orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop -- Why is it different now?

In summary, the different orientations of hysteresis loops observed in literature may be indicative of the difference in sample preparation methods.
ryaamaak
(Edited with suggestions from Berkeman)

After reading the original 1930 paper by Sawyer and Tower (link to original paper here), I noticed that their hysteresis loops are mirrored around the y-axis from many of the ferroelectric hysteresis loops reported today ( see FE examples here, here, here). Why? Has something changed in the measurement approach, or does the differing orientation imply something about the sample under test? (Sawyer and Tower were characterizing Rochelle Salt.)

Here are example hysteresis loops from Sawyer & Tower:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.09.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.14.12 PM.png

Here is a typical modern ferroelectric hysteresis loop; this example is from the paper by Yoshimura et al. "Polarization Hysteresis Loops of Ferroelectric Gate Capacitors Measured by Sawyer-Tower Circuit" published in 2003:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.07.05 PM.png
Here is the original Sawyer-Tower Circuit:

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 5.14.44 PM.png

Here are a few examples from literature where mirrored loops have been reported (Sawyer-Tower circuits are frequently modified to fit the needs of the experiment) :

Sinha et al., 1965, "Modified Sawyer and Tower circuit for the investigation of ferroelectric samples"

Sinha1964.png

Qiu et al., 2013, "Direct hysteresis measurements on ferroelectret films by means of a modified Sawyer-Tower circuit"
Qiu2013.png

Andika et al., 2014 "The Electrical Hysteresis Loop and Polarization Value of BaZrxTi1-xO3 Multilayer Films Material at Different Annealing Temperature (x = 0.1 and 0.08) based on Sawyer Tower Circuit"

Andika2014.png
Thanks in advance for the input!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your reference links are a mix of ferroelectric and ferromagnetic hysteresis loops. You are asking specifically about ferroelectric hysteresis loops in this thread, right? No big deal, but I was confused when reading through your reference links.

Also, could you please post a high resolution figure from the old paper, to compare directly with a high resolution image from the recent papers/sources? That would be a help. Also, if you could compare the experimental setup and apparatus of the original experiment to the modern versions, that may help us all to see why the old sign conventions were chosen. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Your reference links are a mix of ferroelectric and ferromagnetic hysteresis loops. You are asking specifically about ferroelectric hysteresis loops in this thread, right? No big deal, but I was confused when reading through your reference links.

I am particularly interested in ferroelectric loops; however the convention seems to hold for both ferroelectric and ferromagnetic. I will edit the above post with references specifically geared towards measuring each type of hysteresis loop measurement.

berkeman said:
Also, could you please post a high resolution figure from the old paper, to compare directly with a high resolution image from the recent papers/sources? That would be a help.

Unfortunately, these are screen shots from the official version of the paper hosted by Physical Review. I'm assuming that when the paper was digitized resolution was lost, so this is the best I can do for that figure. What I can do is post additional figures from the same paper; a few are better quality than the one in the original post, but there are no ordinate/abscissa markings beyond those in Figure 2.
berkeman said:
Also, if you could compare the experimental setup and apparatus of the original experiment to the modern versions, that may help us all to see why the old sign conventions were chosen. Thanks.

Will see what I can do. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
The figures are not better in the scanned PR paper, but isn't this simply a question of how you "pole" the voltages measured by the osci?

vanhees71 said:
(...) (I)sn't this simply a question of how you "pole" the voltages measured by the osci?

I sincerely hope so, since that would be very easy for me to understand. :smile: The equation used to represent these measurements is [tex]J = A\frac{dP}{dt} + C\frac{dV}{dt} + \frac{V}{R}[/tex] where J is the measured current, A is the area of the capacitor, C is the capacitance, V the applied voltage, R the intrinsic sample resistance (R is not constant, but a function of voltage), and P is the sample polarization. Given this relationship, how it would be possible to apply a negative voltage but measure a positive charge displacement/polarization?

Here is another mirrored hysteresis loop published by Wieder in 1955 - "Ferroelectric Hysteresis in Barium Titanate Single Crystals":
Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 10.07.54 AM.png

1. What is the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop?

The Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop is a graphical representation of the relationship between the electric field and the polarization of a ferroelectric material. It shows the behavior of the material when an electric field is applied and then reversed, and is used to understand the properties and behavior of ferroelectric materials.

2. Why is the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop important?

The Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop is important because it provides valuable information about the properties of ferroelectric materials, such as their switching behavior, coercive field, and remanent polarization. This information is crucial for the development and optimization of ferroelectric-based devices, such as memory storage and sensors.

3. What factors can affect the orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop?

The orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop can be affected by various factors, including temperature, electric field strength, and material composition. Additionally, the preparation and processing of the material can also influence the orientation of the hysteresis loop.

4. Why does the orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop change?

The orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop can change due to changes in the material's properties, such as its crystal structure, composition, or defects. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as temperature and electric field strength. Additionally, the aging and degradation of the material can also cause changes in the orientation of the hysteresis loop.

5. How can the orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop be controlled?

The orientation of the Ferroelectric Hysteresis Loop can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the material's composition, processing conditions, and external factors such as temperature and electric field strength. Additionally, the use of different substrates and electrode materials can also affect the orientation of the hysteresis loop.