1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality/infinite series solutions differential equation

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the problem statement in the picture for exersize 14, it's rather long (pertaining to orthogonality - which I only understand what the definition of orthogonality is, which is the "(15)" on the side of the image below.

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/oxhw2uf8p/ [Broken][/PLAIN]

2. Relevant equations

y'' + (k^2)y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempted solution attached below has a hint for exercise 14 which I will write out at the top of the page

photo_22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you multiply both sides of the differential equation [itex]y_n''(x)+k_n^2y_n(x)=0[/itex] by [itex]y_m(x)[/itex], you don't get [itex]y_m''(x)+k_n^2y_m(x)=0[/itex]. That's not how multiplication works.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    Oh wow, sorry careless error!

I got this far and don't know what I'm supposed to do after this:

trigg_ex_14.jpg

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does [itex]k_n=k_m[/itex] for all possible values of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]? If not, how do you justify cancelling out the 2 terms that you cancelled?

Rather, you should have [itex](k_m^2-k_n^2)y_m y_n = \frac{d}{dx}\left( y_my_n' - y_n y_m' \right)[/itex]. As for what to do next, just follow the hint (it is very explicit in its instructions) and integrate both sides of the equation over a full period of [itex]y_n[/itex] (you'll probably want to start by figuring out what the period of [itex]y_n[/itex] is :wink:)...what do you get?

6. Oct 2, 2012 #5
    Thanks so much, i got the final answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook