Orthogonality/infinite series solutions differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in exercise 14 involving the concept of orthogonality and a differential equation. The attempted solution includes a hint that involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a function, but the person realizes they made a mistake. The conversation then explores whether the values of k are equal and provides further instructions on how to solve the problem by integrating over a full period of the function. The final answer is obtained by following the given instructions.
bossman007

Homework Statement

This is the problem statement in the picture for exersize 14, it's rather long (pertaining to orthogonality - which I only understand what the definition of orthogonality is, which is the "(15)" on the side of the image below.

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/oxhw2uf8p/ [/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

y'' + (k^2)y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted solution attached below has a hint for exercise 14 which I will write out at the top of the page

photo_22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you multiply both sides of the differential equation [itex]y_n''(x)+k_n^2y_n(x)=0[/itex] by [itex]y_m(x)[/itex], you don't get [itex]y_m''(x)+k_n^2y_m(x)=0[/itex]. That's not how multiplication works.

Oh wow, sorry careless error!

I got this far and don't know what I'm supposed to do after this:

trigg_ex_14.jpg

bossman007 said:
Oh wow, sorry careless error!

I got this far and don't know what I'm supposed to do after this:

trigg_ex_14.jpg

Does [itex]k_n=k_m[/itex] for all possible values of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]? If not, how do you justify cancelling out the 2 terms that you cancelled?

Rather, you should have [itex](k_m^2-k_n^2)y_m y_n = \frac{d}{dx}\left( y_my_n' - y_n y_m' \right)[/itex]. As for what to do next, just follow the hint (it is very explicit in its instructions) and integrate both sides of the equation over a full period of [itex]y_n[/itex] (you'll probably want to start by figuring out what the period of [itex]y_n[/itex] is :wink:)...what do you get?

Thanks so much, i got the final answer !

1. What is orthogonality in the context of differential equations?

In the context of differential equations, orthogonality refers to the property of two functions being perpendicular or at right angles to each other. This means that the integral of their product over a given interval is equal to zero. In other words, their overlap or correlation is minimal, and they can be considered independent or "orthogonal" to each other.

2. How do infinite series solutions come into play when solving differential equations?

Infinite series solutions are an important tool for solving differential equations because they allow us to approximate a solution using an infinite sum of simpler functions. This is particularly useful for non-linear or complex differential equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods. By using infinite series, we can often find an accurate solution that would otherwise be impossible to obtain.

3. What are some examples of differential equations that can be solved using infinite series?

Some common examples of differential equations that can be solved using infinite series include the Bessel equation, Legendre's equation, and the Hermite equation. These equations often arise in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields, and their solutions are essential for understanding and predicting various phenomena.

4. How does orthogonality help in finding the coefficients of an infinite series solution?

Orthogonality plays a crucial role in determining the coefficients of an infinite series solution. By choosing a set of orthogonal functions, we can construct a system of equations that can be solved to find the coefficients. This is known as the method of Frobenius, and it is a powerful technique for solving differential equations with infinite series solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinite series solutions for differential equations?

While infinite series solutions are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. For one, they may not always converge to a valid solution, and it can be challenging to determine the radius of convergence. Additionally, they may not always provide an exact solution, but rather an approximation. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using infinite series solutions for differential equations.