1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonalization math problem

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1&0\\1&-2&0\\0&0&3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

|A-Lambda(I)| etc....

let T = lambda

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1&0\\1&-2&0\\0&0&3\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-T&1&0\\1&-2-T&0\\0&0&3-T\end{array}\right)[/tex]

cant I just multiply -T(minor11)+(-1)(1)(minor21)?

The answers in the book are different...can anyon help

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you please state the question as given please. I am guessing that the question wants you to find a set of orthogonal vectors which span R3. Does the question mention orthonormalization?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "problem statement" is NOT just a matrix! What do you want to DO with the matrix?

You appear to be trying to find the eigenvalues. Yes, you can expand the determinant by the either the first row or the first column- you shouldn't have to ask that.

You say the answers in the back of the book are "different"! Different from what? You have told us neither what answers you got nor what the answers are in the back of the book. Not to mention that you never said what the problem was!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?