Oscillation amplitude in oscillator

In summary: BTW, how did you explain the function of R2?Thank you.R2 seems to be there to provide some feedback to the op-amp. The purpose of the feedback is to control the op-amp's output voltage so that it remains within the designated bandwidth.
Bromio

Homework Statement

The circuit in attached figure behaves as an oscillator. What is the oscillation amplitude?

2. The attempt at a solution
With H(s), I've calculated the oscillation condition: [itex]KM \geq L_1+L_2[/itex], and the oscillation frequency: [itex]\omega = R_1/\sqrt(L_1 L_1 - M^2)[/itex]

How can I obtain the amplitude of each oscillation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attached figure seems to have become detached.

NascentOxygen said:
The attached figure seems to have become detached.

Thank you.

I've just attached the figure in this message.

Attachments

• Oscillator.png
    Oscillator.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 448
In general, analysis of the linear circuit doesn't allow you to determine the amplitude of sinusoidal oscillations. The amplitude is determined by non-linearities which are built-in to the system, be they non-linearities in the amplifier, a soft diode clipper, or even just the rail voltage/s of the amplifier. Yes, this means that your sinewave oscillator doesn't generate a pure sinewave, there inevitably is going to be some distortion. (This doesn't mean it will necessarily be visibly distorted, though.)

Last edited:
Thank you.

Certainly, the problem statement said: "Think about what could be the oscillation amplitude".

So, I suppose that, although I can't calculate the exact oscillation amplitude, I will be able to obtain an approximation. How can I do it? Maybe by Fourier series decomposition and taken the first harmonic?

Thank you, again.

In the absence of anything to limit the signal level, I don't think you can determine the amplitude. With a closed loop gain of 0.99999 you'll find that oscillation will not be maintained. Yet, the tiniest of increases to the gain, say, to 1.00001 then oscillations will build up without limit. You could simulate this with SPICE or some other package to see.

In the simulation you could then introduce gain-limiting parameters, such as the gain-bandwidth of the amplifier, or slew-rate limiting, or a diode limiter. In your circuit, you could introduce a tiny bit of B-H non-linearity (saturation in the transformer core) to see how that would limit the amplitude of oscillations.

NascentOxygen said:
In the absence of anything to limit the signal level, I don't think you can determine the amplitude. With a closed loop gain of 0.99999 you'll find that oscillation will not be maintained. Yet, the tiniest of increases to the gain, say, to 1.00001 then oscillations will build up without limit. You could simulate this with SPICE or some other package to see.

In the simulation you could then introduce gain-limiting parameters, such as the gain-bandwidth of the amplifier, or slew-rate limiting, or a diode limiter. In your circuit, you could introduce a tiny bit of B-H non-linearity (saturation in the transformer core) to see how that would limit the amplitude of oscillations.

Thank you.

Because of this message, I've looking for something in the circuit to know how to estimate the amplitude. May the op-amp become saturation and so the amplitude is Vsat?

Bromio said:
May the op-amp become saturation and so the amplitude is Vsat?
Certainly, the supply rails will always be a limiting factor on circuit operation. :devil:

NascentOxygen said:
Certainly, the supply rails will always be a limiting factor on circuit operation. :devil:

OK.

Thank you.

It wouldn't be a good design though. Plug in a different amp with different o/p and the frequency would be different. Besides, the waveform would have to be horrible. (I'm assuming it's supposed to be a sinusoidal oscillator. The feedback resistors set a gain of less than unity over the entire bandwidth, but the inductor, with correct phasing, sidesteps this above some corner frequency.)

BTW, how did you explain the function of R2?

Last edited:

1. What is oscillation amplitude in an oscillator?

Oscillation amplitude in an oscillator refers to the maximum displacement or deviation from the equilibrium position of the oscillator during one complete cycle of oscillation.

2. How is oscillation amplitude related to frequency?

The oscillation amplitude is indirectly related to the frequency of the oscillator. As the frequency increases, the amplitude decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the amplitude-frequency response.

3. What factors affect the oscillation amplitude in an oscillator?

The factors that affect the oscillation amplitude in an oscillator include the initial displacement of the oscillator, the stiffness of the system, and the amount of damping present.

4. Can the oscillation amplitude in an oscillator be changed?

Yes, the oscillation amplitude in an oscillator can be changed by adjusting the initial conditions or the parameters of the oscillator, such as the spring constant or damping coefficient. In some cases, external forces can also impact the oscillation amplitude.

5. How is oscillation amplitude calculated?

The oscillation amplitude can be calculated by measuring the maximum displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position during one complete cycle of oscillation. It can also be mathematically calculated using the equation A = (E - E0)/k, where A is the amplitude, E is the total energy of the oscillator, E0 is the potential energy at equilibrium, and k is the spring constant.