Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with ideal opamps and diodes, and the task of calculating the amplitude of oscillations at v0. The simulation in Multisim shows an amplitude of 8.954*sqrt(2)V, with a strange observation of a voltage of 3.409V on the diode. The discussion also mentions how the diodes stabilize the amplitude by providing additional negative feedback. However, there is a discrepancy in the diode orientation and the simulation results. The conversation ends with a suggestion to assume ideal diodes with a forward voltage of 0V.
etf
It is known R4=R5=1.2k. My task is to calculate amplitude of oscillations at v0:

limmm.png

Opamps and diodes are ideal.

I did analysis of circuit without amplitude stabilization and I got oscillation frequency, but I can't figure out how diodes stabilize amplitude in this circuit.
Any sugestion?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I simulated this circuit in Multisim:

sim.png

It looks like amplitude is 8.954*sqrt(2)V.
One strange thing: how can voltage on diode be 3.409V ??
I was thought that when diode is direct biased, voltage drop on it is about 0.7V.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your simulation, V4 and V5 should have opposite polarities.

One diode conducts during part of vo's positive half-cycle, and the other diode conducts during part of vo's negative half-cycle. When conducting they supply additional heavy negative feedback (an additional path for signal vo to feed back to the OP-AMP's inverting input).

A diode has 0.7V across it when conducting, but can have any voltage at all when reverse-biased.

Likes etf
Because the gain is only slightly larger than the critical value (3.03>3) we can assume that the diodes will start to conduct (and to reduce the gain) for values smaller than 0.7 volts (perhaps 0.4...0.5 V).
Without oscillation and for small oscillation amplituts both diodes are biased in reverse direction.
Only amplitudes above a certain value will slightly open the diodes - thereby reducing the gain (increasing feedback).

Last edited:
Likes etf
I think the diodes are shown in backwards. Your reading of U2 is impossible with the circuit as shown.
If the diodes are reversed then the negative clipping feedback thresholds make sense.
In your simulation did you run Vcc and Vee to the op amp, and what were the voltages if so?

Since the problem stated to assume ideal diodes, don't worry about 0.5V vs. 0.7V or whatever. Assume forward V = 0V.

1. What is an Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization?

An Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (opamp) to generate a continuous oscillating signal. The amplitude stabilization feature ensures that the output signal maintains a constant amplitude despite changes in input voltage or other environmental factors.

2. How does an Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization work?

An Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization works by using a feedback loop to continuously compare the output signal to a reference voltage. If the output signal deviates from the reference voltage, the opamp adjusts its output to bring it back to the desired amplitude. This feedback loop allows the circuit to maintain a stable amplitude despite any external factors that may affect it.

3. What are the applications of an Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization?

Opamp oscillators with amplitude stabilization are commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable and reliable oscillating signal, such as audio amplifiers, signal generators, and frequency synthesizers. They are also used in communication systems, testing and measurement equipment, and other electronic circuits where a stable oscillating signal is necessary.

4. Are there different types of Opamp oscillators with amplitude stabilization?

Yes, there are various types of Opamp oscillators with amplitude stabilization, such as the Wien bridge oscillator, phase-shift oscillator, and Colpitts oscillator. Each type has its own unique design and characteristics, but they all use the same principle of using an opamp and feedback loop to stabilize the amplitude of the oscillating signal.

5. What are the advantages of using an Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization?

An Opamp oscillator with amplitude stabilization offers several advantages, including a more stable and accurate output signal, lower distortion, and the ability to easily adjust the operating frequency. It is also a cost-effective solution compared to other methods of amplitude stabilization, making it a popular choice in many electronic applications.