1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations and Physical Pendulum help

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    1) SOLVED. In an engine, a piston oscillates with simple harmonic motion so that its position varies according to the following expression, where x is in centimeters and t is in seconds. x = (7.00 cm) cos(5t + π/8). (a) at t=0, find the position (b) velocity (c) acceleration

For part a, I tried plugging in 0 for t, giving 7cos(0 + pi/8), which equals 6.999 or 7? That's the only thing I know to do, and this is not the correct answer

For b and c, I tried plugging in 0 to the equations v = -wAsin(wt + [tex]\phi[/tex]) and a = -w2Acos(wt + [tex]\phi[/tex]), but once again no luck.

2) A very light rigid rod with a length of 1.81 m extends straight out from one end of a meter stick. The stick is suspended from a pivot at the far end of the rod and is set into oscillation. Ip = ICM + MD2 (a) Determine the period of oscillation. [Suggestion: Use the parallel-axis theorem equation given. Where D is the distance from the center-of-mass axis to the parallel axis and M is the total mass of the object.]

[tex]T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega} = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgd}}[/tex] is what I know I need to be using, but I'm not sure what to plug in for I. I tried plugging in [tex]\frac{1}{3}ML^{2}[/tex] for I, giving me [tex]2\pi\sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{3}ML^{2}}{mgd}}[/tex]
    The mass cancelled out and I changed d to L, which cancelled out and reduced L2 to L. When I plugged in the numbers I didn't get the right answer. Is my value for d wrong or is it the I as a whole?

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Check to see if your calculator is in radian or degree mode! pi/8= .392... degrees would be very close to 0 so cos(pi/8) would be very close to 1. cosine of pi/8 radians however, is not 1 so 7 cos(pi/8) is not 7.

Again, put your calculator into radian mode.

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    You were right I had my calculator in degrees, thanks! #1 is down, now all I need help on is #2!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?