Can you predict oscillations of a clamped ruler from its length?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter thebosonbreaker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oscillation Oscillations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
thebosonbreaker
Messages
32
Reaction score
5
This probably has a very simple explanation, but I really need to know!

What I really want to know is, is there any equation that relates the number of oscillations to other factors such as length, force applied, etc. to a simple plastic desk ruler (image attached)?
(or) if there isn't one, how would I formulate an equation for it?

What I mean is that, if I hold one end down on the table and hold the other end down on the edge and then let it go, is there an equation that would tell me the number of times it moved up and down (oscillated) given other factors.

I have tried other equations, such as ( T = 2π × √(L/g) ) but the answer's don't make much sense. Although, I didn't really have any initial hope because most of them are for pendulums, not rulers.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
Many thanks in advance.

DE-RULER.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look into the ideas of a compound pendulum, that should help you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: thebosonbreaker
Aniruddha@94 said:
Look into the ideas of a compound pendulum, that should help you.
Yeah, that seems to be closer to what I'm looking for,
thanks for your help.