Oscilloscope, bread board set up, measuring phase / gain etc.

In summary, the black box has 3 terminals each with a "unknown component" and the goal is to measure the gain (Vout/Vin) and other values with the oscilloscope.
js6

Homework Statement

Hi,

I've been having trouble setting up an oscilloscope, with a AC voltage supply, to a breadbox, with a "black box" in the circuit. the black box is just a set of 3 pairs of terminals, each a "unknown component" such as a diode, capacitor, resistor, etc.

Basically I need to figure out how to properly construct the circuit to obtain values for phase, peak-peak voltage, etc using the oscilloscope, which would then allow me to determine the components. (Where to plug things in, such as the Ch.1 / Ch.2 of the oscilloscope, and the output of the AC voltage, with the board and the box.)

I was wondering if anyone has a diagram, or picture of such a set up that could help me, my attempts have been fairly basic, and encounter problems such as the grounding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
js6 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I've been having trouble setting up an oscilloscope, with a AC voltage supply, to a breadbox, with a "black box" in the circuit. the black box is just a set of 3 pairs of terminals, each a "unknown component" such as a diode, capacitor, resistor, etc.

Basically I need to figure out how to properly construct the circuit to obtain values for phase, peak-peak voltage, etc using the oscilloscope, which would then allow me to determine the components. (Where to plug things in, such as the Ch.1 / Ch.2 of the oscilloscope, and the output of the AC voltage, with the board and the box.)

I was wondering if anyone has a diagram, or picture of such a set up that could help me, my attempts have been fairly basic, and encounter problems such as the grounding?

Welcome to the PF.

So can you say more about these black boxes? Are the 3 contacts basically the input, ground and output? And you are tasked with determining the transfer function Vout/Vin, and modeling it with discrete components?

Except for the diodes part, this is what the transfer function measurement does with impedance analyzers like the HP 4194. It has a swept AC excitation source, and a monitoring port that measures the transfer function (amplitude and phase) versus frequency. That is basically what you need to do manually with your signal generator and oscilloscope.

Thanks for the replies,

The black box is just basic 2 terminals for each component, and yes I have to measure the gain (Vout/Vin) of the voltage drop over each unknown component, and other things such as phase. I understand what to expect from each component, however my problem lies in the actual set-up of the osscilloscope / AC generator / black box system,

I'll attach some pictures to show what I think I'll have to do, maybe someone can confirm the diagram is correct? Like I said, I understand what to expect from theory, it's just how to set-up the equipment with one another is my problem,

EDIT: Also, maybe if someone can clarify the exact purpose of the extra resistor, which would help a lot

Thanks again,

Attachments

• box.png
    box.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 507
  • circuit.png
    circuit.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 566

I would suggest the following steps to properly set up your oscilloscope and breadboard for measuring phase and gain:

1. Make sure all components are properly connected and the circuit is complete. This includes connecting the AC voltage supply to the breadboard and the black box, and ensuring all components are securely plugged in.

2. Connect the ground lead of the oscilloscope to a ground point on the breadboard. This will help reduce noise and ensure accurate measurements.

3. Connect the probe of Channel 1 (Ch.1) of the oscilloscope to the input of the black box. This will allow you to measure the input voltage.

4. Connect the probe of Channel 2 (Ch.2) of the oscilloscope to the output of the black box. This will allow you to measure the output voltage.

5. Adjust the settings on the oscilloscope to measure AC voltage and set the time base to a suitable range for your signal.

6. Turn on the AC voltage supply and adjust the voltage to a suitable level for your circuit.

7. Use the cursors on the oscilloscope to measure the phase difference between the input and output signals. You can also use the peak-to-peak function to measure the amplitude (gain) of the signal.

8. Repeat the measurements for each pair of terminals on the black box to determine the components.

It may also be helpful to consult the manual for your specific oscilloscope and breadboard set up, as well as any information provided with the black box. Good luck with your measurements!

1. What is an oscilloscope and how does it work?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and visualize electrical signals over time. It works by taking an electrical signal and converting it into a visual representation on a screen. This allows scientists and engineers to analyze and troubleshoot electronic circuits.

2. What is a breadboard and how is it used in circuit design?

A breadboard is a tool used for prototyping and testing electronic circuits without the need for soldering. It consists of a grid of holes that are connected by metal strips. This allows for easy insertion and connection of electronic components, making it a valuable tool for designing and testing circuits.

3. How do you set up an oscilloscope for measurement?

To set up an oscilloscope for measurement, you will need to connect the probe to the channel input and the ground clip to the circuit ground. Adjust the vertical, horizontal, and trigger controls to display the desired signal. Make sure to also adjust the voltage and time scales to accurately measure the signal.

4. What is phase and how is it measured with an oscilloscope?

Phase refers to the relationship between two signals in terms of their timing or position on the oscilloscope display. It is measured in degrees and can be positive or negative. To measure phase, you can use the cursors on the oscilloscope to measure the time difference between two signals and then use a formula to calculate the phase difference.

5. How is gain measured with an oscilloscope?

Gain refers to the amplification of a signal and is typically measured in decibels (dB). To measure gain with an oscilloscope, you can use the voltage scale and the vertical controls to adjust the signal until it is displayed at the desired amplitude. The ratio of the input voltage to the output voltage will give you the gain in dB.