Oscilloscope probe resonantly picking up 50Hz

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of oscilloscope probes picking up noise from AC power cables, with one person mentioning that they have observed a significant voltage reading when an antenna was placed near the power cables. They question what the probe is picking up, as it does not seem to have the necessary components for a resonant circuit at 50Hz. Another person explains that the probe acts like a dipole and is affected by near field coupling, specifically capacitive coupling in this case. They provide an example calculation to demonstrate the potential voltage readings that can be obtained through this type of coupling.
H_man
Hi all,

I've noted for years that oscilloscope probes tend to pick up noise from AC power cables, but just recently I tried connecting an antenna (piece of wire) to the probe and placing it near some power cables and voltage recorded was off the scale.

I have calculated that the power radiated from a few meters of normal everyday cable with say an amp or two flowing at 50 Hz should be of the order of 10^-10 Watts, so what is the probe picking up? After all, if I'm not mistaken to build a resonant circuit at 50 Hz you either need a lot capacitance or a lot of inductance and I don't think the probe is big enough to contain either relatively large components.

Anyone dealt with this before in any detail?

Thanks
Harry

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Hman, any time you're looking at 50/60 Hz pickup you're going to be much closer than a wavelength so it's pretty much always near field coupling (mutual inductance in the case of the H field and capacitive coupling in the case of the E field).

The scope probe is like a little dipole, so you're looking at near field E coupling here - basically just capacitive coupling.

Say for example you had just 0.5pF coupling from the power line to the probe, then impedance at 50Hz is about 6300 Meg. Your using 50Hz so I'll assume 240 volts, the scope input is typically about 10M, so the coupled voltage is about 240*10/6300 = 380 mV. That's about 1 volt peak to peak already. Add some wire to increase the capacitance and you'll get even more.

Last edited:
Thanks uart, this is now clear to me :-)

1. What is an oscilloscope probe?

An oscilloscope probe is a device used to measure electrical signals in electronic circuits. It is typically a long, thin wire with a small tip, connected to the oscilloscope's input channel.

2. What does it mean for an oscilloscope probe to "resonantly pick up 50Hz"?

This means that the probe is picking up a signal at a frequency of 50Hz, which is the frequency of the standard AC power supply in many countries. It is a common issue in electronic measurements, as the 50Hz signal can interfere with the desired signal being measured.

3. How does an oscilloscope probe pick up 50Hz signals?

An oscilloscope probe can pick up 50Hz signals through electromagnetic induction. The probe acts as an antenna, picking up the electrical field generated by the 50Hz power supply and converting it into a measurable signal.

4. What are the consequences of an oscilloscope probe picking up 50Hz signals?

The main consequence of an oscilloscope probe picking up 50Hz signals is that it can distort the desired signal being measured, leading to inaccurate readings. It can also introduce noise and artifacts into the measurement, making it difficult to analyze the data accurately.

5. How can I prevent an oscilloscope probe from picking up 50Hz signals?

There are a few ways to prevent an oscilloscope probe from picking up 50Hz signals. One option is to use a shielded probe, which is designed to block out external interference. Another option is to use a differential probe, which measures the difference between two signals and can cancel out the 50Hz interference. Additionally, using proper grounding techniques and keeping the probe as close to the circuit as possible can also help reduce 50Hz interference.