Oscilloscope trigger homework problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an oscilloscope and the equation V = V0 sin(ωt) to determine the phase angle of a waveform. The initial answer is 2.5V, but there is difficulty in getting ωt. The trigger slope polarity is mentioned and the significance of changing it is explained. Finally, it is noted that the waveform is falling at 2.5V and the equation sin(Vt/Vo) is suggested to find the phase angle.
Calcifer
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8941/webworks4ez6.jpg" .

The first answer is 2.5V, but I'm having trouble getting ωt

I'm using the equation: V = V0 sin(ωt) --> 2.5V = 5V sin(ωt) --> sin-1(2.5V/5V) = ωt --> ωt = 30 degrees but that's incorrect and so is -30 degrees

I've just used an oscilloscope for the first time last week, and I don't know much about it. What does changing the trigger slope polarity affect in this case? Apparently the scope still triggers at 2.5V... please shed some light on me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A positive trigger at 2.5 volts means that scope should trigger on a rising part of the waveform as it reaches 2.5 volts. Negative trigger means it will trigger on a falling part.

It still triggers at 2.5 volts. But the waveform is falling.

Last edited:
Assuming Vo is equal to Vpeak then dividing the trigger voltage by Vpeak and finding its sine [ sin(Vt/Vo) ] will give you the phase angle.

1. What is an oscilloscope trigger?

An oscilloscope trigger is a feature on an oscilloscope that allows the user to specify a certain condition that must be met for the waveform to be displayed on the screen. This helps to stabilize the waveform and make it easier to analyze.

2. Why is the oscilloscope trigger important?

The oscilloscope trigger is important because it helps to ensure that the waveform being displayed is accurate and stable. Without a trigger, the waveform may appear distorted or fluctuate, making it difficult to analyze.

3. How do I set the trigger on an oscilloscope?

The process for setting the trigger on an oscilloscope may vary depending on the specific model. However, in general, the trigger can be set by adjusting the trigger level, trigger source, and trigger type. Refer to the oscilloscope's manual for specific instructions.

4. What is the difference between edge trigger and level trigger?

An edge trigger specifies a particular slope (rising or falling) of the waveform to be displayed, while a level trigger specifies a specific voltage level that the waveform must reach for it to be displayed. Edge triggers are used for more complex waveforms, while level triggers are used for simpler waveforms.

5. What should I do if my oscilloscope trigger is not working?

If your oscilloscope trigger is not working, first check that all the settings are correct. If the issue persists, try adjusting the trigger level or changing the trigger type. If the problem still persists, there may be an issue with the oscilloscope itself, and it may need to be serviced or replaced.