Momentum problem involving collision of two balls

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving momentum and the direction of a 2 kg ball. The individual momentums of each ball are summed to find the initial momentum of 8kg*m/s. The final momentum is calculated using the angle and velocity of the 3 kg ball. The concept of adding vector quantities is also discussed, and it is determined that finding the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two momentums is necessary. The conversation ends with a question about the initial momentum of the two masses.
Joshpho

Homework Statement

(It includes a diagram so I'm just going to link it)
#22 from Chapter 7 of the People's Physics Book (second to last page, with the table)
http://scipp.ucsc.edu/outreach/07Momentum.pdf

Homework Equations

p(i)=p(f)
p(f)x=m*v*cosin(theta) [I "made these up", so to speak, but it seems logical]
p(f)y=m*v*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

The main trouble I am is with b), finding the actual direction of the 2 kg ball. First, however, I wanted to verify my steps so far is correct...

The initial momentum should be 8kg*m/s by summing the individual, positive momentums of each ball. For the final momentum of the 3 kg ball, I obtained them like so...

We know the angle is 30 degrees and it has a velocity of 1 m/s, so we know
Momentum in the x direction = 3kg*1m/s*cosin(30) = 1.50
Momentum y = 3kg*1m/s*sin(30) = 2.60

So now I set up our conservation equation like so...

8 kg*m/s = (1.50+2.60)kg*m/s + p(2kg ball)

Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
momentum is a vector quantity. So does it make sense to sum the momenta of the two balls?

We know that the total momentum before compared to the final momentum has to be equal, so yes?

ok, so how do you add two vector quantities?

Finding the diagonal of the paralellogram they form? But this doesn't seem possible to do without knowing the direction of the 2kg ball first.

Also, you are allowed to add momentum quantities, right? I was taught you could do that at least, since they're both mass and speed.

momentum : mass speed and direction. When you add momenta together you must keep track of direction too. So yes you will be finding the diagonal of the parallelogram either explicitly or by keeping the components of the vector separate. Much like map directions where you can say go 1 mile East and 1 mile North or equivalently go 1.4 miles NorthEast. It works the other way too: Even though a bird can fly 1.4 miles due NE we may have to take the equivalent route by traveling 1 mile East and 1 mile North.

So what is your initial momentum for the two masses?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved, but momentum is still conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost and the objects may stick together after the collision.

5. How can the momentum of a system be calculated?

The momentum of a system can be calculated by multiplying the mass of each object by its velocity and then adding up all of the individual momentums. This can also be represented by the equation p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.