Osmolarity Calculations for 5% Glucose, .89% NaCl, and 8% Glucose Solutions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nouranoura
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Nouranoura
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
You have to show your attempts, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
I don't know how to get the oolarity from just the percentage
See this question:
Calculate the osmolarity of each solutions:
5% glucose solution
.89% NaCl solution
And 8% glucose solution
i=1.9
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Convert percentages to molarities.
Yeah I know but how do I do that? Is it by using w/v %? How does the NaCl 0.89% become 8.9 g/l? That's the part that I don't get
 
Approximately: 1 L is 1 kg.

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.
 
Borek said:
Approximately: 1 L is 1 kg.

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.
I do not follow sir how is the density related to the percentage? Please forgive me I may have not understood you. English is not my first language

Borek said:
Approximately: 1 L is 1 kg.

Precisely: take a density table, read the density for a given concentration, calculate mass of 1 L of the solution, follow from there.[/QUO
 
Nouranoura said:
how is the density related to the percentage?

This is something that has to be measured. For many compounds there are ready density tables, some of them printed in chemistry handbooks, some of them available on the internet. You need to locate such a table and read the density for a given concentration.
 
Borek said:
This is something that has to be measured. For many compounds there are ready density tables, some of them printed in chemistry handbooks, some of them available on the internet. You need to locate such a table and read the density for a given concentration.
Excuse me sir I did not ask what density is, I do know what it is but my question was that why would we need the density.You see the main question is part of a sample exam paper there won't be any density tables whatsoever