OT: understanding strange technical terms

PLLs and focusing on two important specifications: phase noise and reference spurs. He is unsure of the meaning of reference spurs and asks for clarification. The expert summarizer explains that reference spurs are undesired signals that can interfere with a circuit and suggests more information can be found on the topic. "In summary, reference spurs are spikes or noise components that can affect a circuit and can be further researched at the provided link."
Micko
Hello people,
I'm reading one technical article about PLL and I have found this:
In this second part, we will focus on a detailed examination of two
critical specifications associated with PLLs: phase noise and reference
spurs.

I don't know what reference spurs means? I can conclude from the rest of the text that spurs can be spikes or deviance in reference signal.
Are there other more appropriate terms?
I know that "spurs" are something that cowboys wear, but never saw that technical term.
Can you suggest synonims?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
A spur in an undesired signal that appears in your circuit. It can be internally generated or come from outside. Obviously if the spur is strong enough it may interfere with your circuit so much rendering it ineffective.

You can read more about reference spurs in particular here:

http://www.national.com/nationaledge/feb01/286.html

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, the term "spur" refers to spikes in the frequency domain, i.e. undesired noise components of specific frequencies.

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of technical terms in science?

Technical terms in science serve as a standardized language for scientists to communicate complex ideas and concepts. They help to ensure accuracy and precision in scientific communication.

2. How can I understand technical terms in science if I am not a scientist?

It can be challenging to understand technical terms without a scientific background, but there are resources available such as dictionaries, glossaries, and online explanations that can help. It may also be helpful to ask a scientist or do further research on the specific term.

3. Are technical terms the same across all scientific fields?

No, technical terms vary across different scientific fields. Each field has its own set of specialized terms and jargon that are specific to that particular area of study.

4. Why do technical terms in science change over time?

As science and technology advance, new discoveries and developments may lead to changes in technical terms. Additionally, some terms may become outdated or obsolete as new terminology is introduced.

5. Can technical terms have multiple meanings?

Yes, some technical terms may have multiple meanings depending on the context in which they are used. It is important to understand the specific definition and usage of a technical term in a particular scientific field.