Are there alternative methods of inquiry besides science?

• Thread starter Dorje
  • Start date
In summary, there are other types of inquiry besides scientific, such as lateral thinking, creative thinking, and introspection. While these have been studied scientifically, they are not rooted in reason like scientific inquiry. They involve exploring one's own feelings and creativity, which cannot be done objectively. Ultimately, the difference between these types of inquiry and scientific inquiry lies in the standards they adhere to. Links may provide further information on these concepts.
Dorje
In some literature, I have come across statements that suggest that there are other types of inquiry besides scientific. I was wondering if someone could provide examples of other types (categories or classes) of inquiry and explain whether or not they are rooted in reason like scientific inquiry. Links would be helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question contains its own answer.

What is the difference between a question and a statement? Attitude, something science most certainly has not cornered the market in. Sincere questions are accepting, without expectations or anticipations. When my child asks why the sky is blue, they do not demand answers from me.

This is not the same as striving for scientific objectivity, although it is related. Exploring one's own feelings, or creativity is impossible to do objectively. At some point, one must distinguish between art and science, the personal and the impersonal. Of course, whether you value your own feelings and creativity is another point altogether.

Lateral thinking, creative thinking, introspection, etc. have been studied scientifically, but certainly are not the same as scientific inquiry.

In the end its not about methods, but of standards.

1. What are other methods of inquiry?

Other methods of inquiry refer to alternative ways of approaching the study of a particular topic or phenomenon. These methods may include qualitative research, quantitative research, mixed methods, action research, case studies, and more.

2. How do other methods of inquiry differ from traditional scientific methods?

Traditional scientific methods typically involve collecting and analyzing data using a structured, systematic approach. Other methods of inquiry may use different data collection and analysis techniques, and may place more emphasis on subjective experiences and interpretations.

3. When should I consider using other methods of inquiry?

Other methods of inquiry can be useful when studying complex or dynamic phenomena that cannot be easily measured or controlled in a laboratory setting. They can also be valuable for exploring subjective experiences and perceptions.

4. What are the advantages of using other methods of inquiry?

Other methods of inquiry can provide a more holistic and nuanced understanding of a topic or phenomenon. They can also allow for the exploration of multiple perspectives and the investigation of complex relationships.

5. Are there any limitations to using other methods of inquiry?

Some limitations of other methods of inquiry may include subjectivity and potential for bias in data collection and analysis, as well as difficulties in generalizing findings to a larger population. These methods may also require more time and resources compared to traditional scientific methods.