Ottawa (Canada) Region for Physics

In summary, the average temperature in Ottawa (Canada) Region varies between -10°C (14°F) in the winter and 25°C (77°F) in the summer. The region's geography, located in a valley between the Ottawa River and the Gatineau Hills, creates a microclimate with temperature differences between the east and west of the city. The dominant type of precipitation is snow, with an average of 220 cm (86.6 in) falling per year. Two significant natural phenomena related to physics occur in the region: the annual migration of Canada geese guided by Earth's magnetic field, and the occasional appearance of the Northern Lights due to the region's high latitude and location in the auroral oval. The main industries
Alexstre
Hello!

I currently live in Montreal, QC, Canada and I have been looking in both Carleton U and Ottawa U's Physics Programs and ended up applying. I'm coming from the Quebec educational background (we only have 5 years of High School then "Cegep" between it and University) where I studied Computer Science (ie. not many science classes, mostly programming, and some math). I know that Grade 12 in Ontario is where most of the pre-req science classes are taken for people aiming for a science degree in University. I have a few question though (if you either have a similar background to mine, or might know it somehow)

First, if you go to either of those universities, would you recommend it? and from what you know, how does it compare to the other one? (ie. Ottawa VS Carleton) - I know they're sharing the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Physics so I'm expecting both schools to have similar resources for students?

Secondly (and probably most likely to be answered by Admission, whenever they get back from the long Easter weekend) how likely is it for someone with a background similar to mine (I should add that I did take 1 Linear Algebra class, 2 Calculus classes and 2 Physics classes) to get in? My time studying Computer Science surely gave me problem solving skills but if I were to apply to Physics in a university here, I'd also need some chemistry and biology classes to get in.

Thanks a lot! I know the second question probably won't be answered here since it's a pretty specific situation and chances that someone that lived something similar actually reads this are pretty low; but I thought I'd ask anyways!

Thanks
- Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alex, I cannot answer your questions as to whether or not you will be accepted to Carleton U or Ottawa U's Physics Programs with your background, as this is a question that will ultimately be answered by the admissions departments. That being said, I can offer some advice on these two universities. Both Carleton U and Ottawa U are excellent universities for studying Physics, and both offer great resources and support for students. The Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Physics means that both schools are extremely well-equipped with top-notch professors and facilities. As far as which one is better, it really depends on what you're looking for in terms of program structure and individual courses. Both universities offer a wide variety of courses and research opportunities in Physics, so if you have a chance to visit each university to get a feel for their programs, I would highly recommend it. Best of luck with your application!

1. What is the average temperature in Ottawa (Canada) Region?

The average temperature in Ottawa (Canada) Region varies depending on the season. In the winter, the average temperature is around -10°C (14°F), while in the summer the average temperature is around 25°C (77°F).

2. How does Ottawa (Canada) Region's geography affect its climate?

Ottawa (Canada) Region is located in a valley between the Ottawa River and the Gatineau Hills. This geography creates a microclimate that can result in temperature differences between the east and west of the city. The river also helps to moderate the temperature and keep the region cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

3. What is the dominant type of precipitation in Ottawa (Canada) Region?

The dominant type of precipitation in Ottawa (Canada) Region is snow, with an average of 220 cm (86.6 in) falling per year. This is due to the region's location in the snowbelt region of Canada and its proximity to the Great Lakes.

4. Are there any significant natural phenomena that occur in Ottawa (Canada) Region that are related to physics?

Yes, there are two significant natural phenomena that occur in Ottawa (Canada) Region that are related to physics. The first is the annual migration of the Canada geese, which is guided by the Earth's magnetic field. The second is the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis, which can sometimes be seen in the region due to its high latitude and location in the auroral oval.

5. What are the main industries in Ottawa (Canada) Region that utilize physics?

Ottawa (Canada) Region is a hub for technology and innovation, with several high-tech industries utilizing physics. Some of the main industries include telecommunications, aerospace, and defense. These industries use physics principles in the development of communication systems, satellites, and advanced weaponry.