OUNT OF CHARGE IS NOT CONSERVED!

• Thread starter CinderBlockFist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary: OH good, thanks for trying.In summary, when sphere 3 touches sphere 1 and sphere 2, the charges are redistributed so that sphere 1 has -.75 and sphere 3 has a +.25 charge.
CinderBlockFist
Identical isolated conducting spheres 1 and 2 have equal amounts of charge and are separated by a distance large compared with their diameters (Fig. 22-20a). The electrostatic force acting on sphere 2 due to sphere 1 is F. Suppose now that a third identical sphere 3, having an insulating handle and initially neutral, is touched first to sphere 1 (Fig. 22-20b), then to sphere 2 (Fig. 22-20c), and finally removed (Fig. 22-20d).

In terms of F, what is the electrostatic force F' that now acts on sphere 2?

The way I did it, when Sphere1 touches Sphere3, they both end up w/ electrostatic force of 1/2F. Then when Sphere3 touches Sphere2, they distribute evenly to have a electrostatic force of 0.75 F.

But this answer is wrong, what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the expression of Coulomb force and take into account that,due to equal potential,the spheres that come into contact have the same charge...

Daniel.

CinderBlockFist said:
The way I did it, when Sphere1 touches Sphere3, they both end up w/ electrostatic force of 1/2F. Then when Sphere3 touches Sphere2, they distribute evenly to have a electrostatic force of 0.75 F.
Be careful about the sign of the charges. A +1/2 F charge on sphere 3 and -1F charge on 2 gives a net -1/2 F shared between 2 and 3.

AM

OH crap, thanks mason, leme try it out.

OK, first i had particle1 had -1 charge, and neutral particle 3 had +0.5, and -0.5 charge (since it is the same size as particle 1). When they touch, I added up the charges and divided by two, since the charges would distribute equally, so both end up w/ -0.75 and +0.25 charge.

Next, particle 3 touches 2, so i get net of -0.75, and +1.25, dividing by 2, I get +0.625 and -0.375, for a total net charge of +0.25 for particles 2 and 3.

Why is this answer wrong?

My final 2 answers available are 0.5 and 0.375

CinderBlockFist said:
OK, first i had particle1 had -1 charge, and neutral particle 3 had +0.5, and -0.5 charge (since it is the same size as particle 1). When they touch, I added up the charges and divided by two, since the charges would distribute equally, so both end up w/ -0.75 and +0.25 charge.
Just worry about the - charge. + charge is a deficit or lack of - charge.

Sphere 1 has charge -1. S3 has 0 charge. When s3 touches it, charges flow so that the electrical potentials are equal. Since they are identical spheres, this means that each sphere has the same charge. So s3 and s1 each have -1/2 charge. The same thing happens when s3 touches s2. The net charge (+1/2) is distributed equally between s2 and s3 so each charge ends up with +.25.

So you end up with s1 having -.5 charge and s2 having a + .25. Since the coulomb force is proportional to the product of the charges, the new force will be: F' = .125 F

AM

Related to OUNT OF CHARGE IS NOT CONSERVED!

1. What is redistribution of charges?

Redistribution of charges is the process by which electric charges are rearranged within a material or between different materials in order to achieve a state of equilibrium.

2. Why does redistribution of charges occur?

Redistribution of charges occurs because electric charges naturally move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, in order to reach a state of balance or equilibrium.

3. How does redistribution of charges affect the properties of a material?

Redistribution of charges can affect the properties of a material by changing its electrical conductivity, capacitance, and other electrical characteristics. It can also cause the material to become charged or polarized.

4. What are some practical applications of redistribution of charges?

Redistribution of charges has many practical applications, including in electronic devices, such as capacitors, batteries, and transistors. It is also important in processes such as electroplating and electrostatic spraying.

5. How is redistribution of charges related to static electricity?

Redistribution of charges is closely related to static electricity, as both involve the movement of electric charges. In static electricity, charges build up on the surface of an object, while redistribution of charges involves the movement of charges within or between objects.