Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our Earth

1. May 21, 2004 #1
    I am sorry, I honestly really don't know anything about earthy things.
    I have questions, would you please tell me why people say carbon is the first element to determine the record of life on planets ?

Secondly, would you please give me some details about the atmostphere in prehistoric age of our Earth ? What books would say more about this ? please give me the names for me to search my library..

Thank you very much,

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2004 #2
    I'm not sure what your question about the "record of life" intends, Pattielli. But as for as chemical properties, carbon is very reactive in a complicated way, being the basis element of very complicated molecular structures. Silicium/Silicon, on the same place in the system of elements is not nearly as versatile. This is the main reason that carbon is the main element for building biologic compounds, supported by hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, Phosphor, Potassium, Calcium etc etc.

If your question is related to carbon dating, then it's a different story

To get an idea about how Earth and it's atmosphere may have evolved, this may be a good starting place. Lots of links to follow.

4. May 22, 2004 #3
    Thank Andre very much for your explanation,

I actually don't know much about these things, I was incorrect about them.. Thank you for pointing them out...:sm:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?