What are the job prospects for different subdisciplines in Physics PhD programs?

• Physics
  • Thread starter wotanub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: There are a few places that you can look. For example, physics papers are cited a lot in the physical and engineering world. You can also look at job postings on websites like Indeed or the DOE website. Finally, don't forget to talk to professors. They may have some connections that you don't know about.
wotanub
Hi I'm about to get my BSc in physics this December, and I'm in the process of applying to Grad school for my PhD.

I want to know what area of physics have a good job market right now and are projected to grow 5 or so years from now. For example, I hear it's very hard to find a job in both High Energy Experiment and Atomic Experiment, two fields that I' interested in.

I'm not sure how to find out the employment opportunities for each subdiscipline.

Physics news on Phys.org
wotanub said:
Hi I'm about to get my BSc in physics this December, and I'm in the process of applying to Grad school for my PhD.

I want to know what area of physics have a good job market right now and are projected to grow 5 or so years from now. For example, I hear it's very hard to find a job in both High Energy Experiment and Atomic Experiment, two fields that I' interested in.

I'm not sure how to find out the employment opportunities for each subdiscipline.

Ask the people who are actively looking for employment, or are recently employed. Ask postdocs. Don't rely on professors because they are very far away from looking for jobs, and also they likely had a pure academic experience.

The other thing is, be prepared for any projection to break down. 5 years later it'll be 10 years from the financial crisis, which means there may be some other crisis waiting to happen. Just imagine the mba students who optimistically enrolled in 2006 and got out in 2008 into a mess of job market. But trying to plan is good. "Plans are nothing, but planning is everything."

Last edited:
wotanub said:
I want to know what area of physics have a good job market right now and are projected to grow 5 or so years from now.

I don't think that anyone has any clue what the world economy is going to be like in five years.

Also predictions are inherently self-defeating because of "reflexvity." If people believe that there are going to be a ton of jobs in bottle washing, everyone will become bottle washers and there will be a glut of bottle washers. Conversely, if people think that X is a bad field, then no one will do it and you'll have a ton of jobs.

At one point I wrote out some differential equations to try to understand "reflexvity", and I figured out that the Ph.D. market has some aspects that make predictions difficult to impossible, these include

1) long time lag
2) small number of jobs which isn't sensitive to demand
3) a large amount of reserve capacity that is demand sensitive (i.e. if you wanted to increase the number of Ph.D.'s by 50%, it wouldn't be hard)

If you put in those factors into an ODE, you end up with an unstable positive feedback loop.

For example, I hear it's very hard to find a job in both High Energy Experiment and Atomic Experiment, two fields that I' interested in.

If I tell you that there are jobs in high energy experiment everyone is going into high energy experiment. If I tell you that there are jobs in atomic experiment, then everyone is going into atomic experiment. You could try doing the opposite of what people are doing, but then everyone else does that.

Once you look at the equation, you'll figure out that it's hard to win so you have to change the rules. Two strategies that seem to work is:

1) be flexible and expect to change fields. If you can change fields, then that changes condition 2

2) Do things at random. If you think about what you going to do, then you will likely end up doing what everyone else decides to do which will be bad. If you just flip a coin, then you aren't going to be influenced by your environment which means that you may end up not getting mobbed. This works pretty well for the stock market. Picking stocks at random can give you much better returns than if you think about what's going on.

If you want the employment situation now, look at the "rumor mills"

If you want the employment situation in five years, then this involves understanding and thinking about the dynamics of the job market. One thing that's cool is that it involves a lot of "physics thinking." For example, reflexivity is something that you find in solid state physics or particle physics (i.e. charge screening and polarization). One of the first things that you do when analyzing a physics situation is to figure out the time scales.

If you can name a product that directly uses the physics you are interested in researching, then there are probably good employment opportunities in that field somewhere in the world. Think about lasers, semiconductors, optoelectronics (LCD, sensors, etc) and things like that.

If you cannot name a product, then you should think twice, because there might be very few industrial positions.

I can provide some insights into the job prospects for different subdisciplines in Physics PhD programs. Firstly, it is important to note that the job market for physicists is constantly evolving and can vary depending on the current state of the economy and technological advancements. However, there are certain subdisciplines that have consistently shown to have good job prospects in recent years.

One subdiscipline that has seen a high demand for job opportunities is in the field of computational physics. With the increasing use of computers and data analysis in various industries, there is a growing need for physicists who are skilled in coding and computational techniques. This trend is expected to continue in the future as more industries rely on data-driven decision making.

Another subdiscipline that has shown promising job prospects is in the field of materials science. With the development of new materials and technologies, there is a growing demand for physicists who can understand and manipulate the properties of materials at the atomic level. This field has applications in various industries such as electronics, healthcare, and energy, making it a promising area for job opportunities.

In addition, areas such as biophysics, environmental physics, and renewable energy have also shown promising job prospects in recent years. With the increasing focus on sustainability and renewable energy sources, there is a growing demand for physicists who can apply their knowledge to solve real-world problems in these areas.

However, it is important to note that the job market for different subdisciplines in physics can also vary depending on the location and the specific industry. For example, some regions may have a higher demand for physicists in certain subdisciplines compared to others. It is always advisable to research and consider the job market in a specific location before choosing a subdiscipline for your PhD.

Overall, while some subdisciplines in physics may have a higher demand for job opportunities than others, it is important to pursue a field that you are passionate about. With a PhD in physics, you will have developed a wide range of skills and knowledge that can be applied to various industries, giving you the flexibility to explore different job opportunities. I wish you all the best in your PhD journey.

1. What career options are available for Physics PhDs?

There are a variety of career options available for Physics PhDs, including research and development positions in academia, government, and industry. Other common career paths include teaching at the college level, working in the technology or engineering sectors, and pursuing careers in data science or finance.

2. How long does it take to obtain a Physics PhD?

The length of time it takes to obtain a Physics PhD can vary depending on individual circumstances, but on average, it takes about 5-6 years. This includes completing coursework, conducting research, and writing and defending a dissertation.

3. What skills do Physics PhDs develop during their studies?

Physics PhDs develop a wide range of skills during their studies, including advanced problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, data analysis, and research skills. They also gain expertise in using various scientific equipment and software, as well as strong mathematical and computational skills.

4. What is the job outlook for Physics PhDs?

The job outlook for Physics PhDs is generally positive, with a projected job growth rate of 5% from 2019-2029. This growth is due to the increasing demand for individuals with advanced scientific and technical skills in various industries, as well as for research and development positions in academia.

5. How much can I expect to earn with a Physics PhD?

The salary for Physics PhDs can vary depending on the specific job and industry, but on average, they can expect to earn a higher salary than those with a bachelor's or master's degree in physics. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in May 2020.