Ow long does it take for the charge to build up to 9.0 µC? RC circuits

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 13K views
mr_coffee
Messages
1,613
Reaction score
1
Hello everyone, I almost got all the parts to this problem:
In an RC series circuit, = 11.0 V, R = 1.10 M, and C = 1.80 µF.

(a) Calculate the time constant.
1.98 s
(b) Find the maximum charge that will appear on the capacitor during charging.
19.8 µC
(c) How long does it take for the charge to build up to 9.0 µC?
s

I tried the following:
q(t) = Q[1-e^(-t/RC)]
q(t) = 9.0e-6[1-e^(-1.98)] = 7.75e-6s, which is wrong;
Since i know t = RC, and i found RC = 1.98, would it be
q(t) = 9.0e-6[1-e^(-1)] ?

I just tried this and its also wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation q(t) should equal 9.0mc since that is the charge that has built up after time t. and Q which is the total charge should be 19.8mc, then just solve for time.
 
thanks! I'm stuck on how I'm suppose to solve for t...
i have -(19.8E-6)(e^(-t/1.98));
do i take the natural log of both sides or somthing? but u can't take the natural log of a negative number!
 
you know that:
9.0E-6 = 19.8E-6[1-e^(-t/1.98)] = 19.8E-6 - 19.8E-6*e^(-t/1.98) so:

-10.8E-6 = -19.8E-6*e^(-t/1.98) /-1
10.8E-6 = 19.8E-6*e^(-t/1.98)
now you can take the natural log of both sides
 
Hey thanks for the responce!
I took the ln of both sides and got:
-11.44 = (-t/1.98)*ln(19.8E-6);
I end up with a negative number of -10.8, did I do this wrong? Sorry its been awhile since I did stuff with ln
 
you didn't take the natural logarithm of each side in the correct manner.
First divide through by 19.8*10^-6 to get rid of that term on the RHS of the expression.

So you would then have:

0.54 = e^(-t/1.98)

Take the natural log of that and you have:

ln(0.54) = -t/1.98
This will give you a positive number
 
Thanks! But i submitted that as my answer: t = .311 and it was also incorrect! hm...
 
ohh my bad hah thanks big man, it worked great!