Owen b's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a first order homogenous ODE

ODE. In summary, the equation dy/dt= t^3/y^3 + y/t can be solved using the substitution u=y/t and integrating the resulting ODE. The general solution is given by y^4=t^4\left(\ln\left(t^4 \right)+C \right).
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How to solve this equation? dy/dt= t^3/y^3 + y/t?

How to solve this equation? dy/dt= t^3/y^3 + y/t

what i understand is we have to use Bernoulli and then solve it using linear equation,is it?

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello owen b,

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{t^3}{y^3}+\frac{y}{t}\)

I would first express the ODE as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=\left(\frac{y}{t} \right)^{-3}+\frac{y}{t}\)

Now, use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{y}{t}\implies y=ut\implies\frac{dy}{dt}=u+\frac{du}{dt}t\)

And our ODE become:

\(\displaystyle u+\frac{du}{dt}t=u^{-3}+u\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{du}{dt}t=u^{-3}\)

Separating variables and integrating (noting $t\ne0$), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \int u^3\,du=\int\frac{dt}{t}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{u^4}{4}=\ln|t|+C\)

\(\displaystyle u^4=\ln\left(t^4 \right)+C\)

Back-substituting for $u$, we obtain the implicit solution:

\(\displaystyle y^4=t^4\left(\ln\left(t^4 \right)+C \right)\)

Related to Owen b's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a first order homogenous ODE

1. What is a first order homogeneous ODE?

A first order homogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, where all terms in the equation are of the same degree. The equation is considered "homogeneous" because it can be rewritten in a form where all terms have a common factor.

2. How do you solve a first order homogeneous ODE?

To solve a first order homogeneous ODE, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves rearranging the equation into a form where all terms involving the unknown function are on one side and all other terms are on the other side. Then, you can integrate both sides with respect to the independent variable to find the general solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODE?

The main difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous ODE is that a homogeneous ODE can be rewritten in a form where all terms have a common factor, while a non-homogeneous ODE cannot. This allows for a simpler solution method for homogeneous ODEs compared to non-homogeneous ones.

4. How can I determine if a first order ODE is homogeneous?

To determine if a first order ODE is homogeneous, you can rearrange the equation and look for a common factor among all terms. If a common factor exists, then the equation is homogeneous. Additionally, homogeneous ODEs often have a specific form, such as dy/dx = F(x/y), where F is a function of the ratio x/y.

5. Can a first order ODE be both homogeneous and non-homogeneous?

No, a first order ODE cannot be both homogeneous and non-homogeneous. The two terms are mutually exclusive, as a homogeneous ODE can be rewritten to have all terms with a common factor, while a non-homogeneous ODE cannot. However, a higher order ODE (such as a second or third order) can have both homogeneous and non-homogeneous terms.