Oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths?

In summary, the oxygen atom has two energy levels, with the first being a forbidden level at 0.98 eV and the second at 1.63 eV. The electron configuration of oxygen is 1s2 2s2 2p4, and the K, L1, L2, and L3 edges are at 543.1 eV, 41.6 eV, 18.2 eV, and 18.2 eV respectively. Further information on the energy levels can be found at the given sources.
HMS-776
How many energy levels the oxygen atom have?

What energy (in eV) is required to get to each level.

From my research i have only been able to find the first two levels, the first of which is a forbidden level.

1.=.98eV
2.=1.63eV

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure exactly what you mean (sorry), does this information help at all?

The electron configuration of oxygen (O) is, 1s2 2s2 2p4

The K edge is at 543.1 eV
The L1 edge is at 41.6 eV
The L2 edge is at 18.2 eV
The L3 edge is at 18.2 eV

If you refer rather to the energy levels of [tex]O_{2}[/tex] then I don't know anything, sorry!

Edit: I re-read your post; you said O atom clearly so hopefully this helps.

I'm talking about the electron energy levels when a photon is absorbed.

Does anyone know what they are or where I can find information on them?

1. What is the relationship between oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths?

The energy levels of oxygen atoms determine the range of wavelengths at which they can absorb and emit energy. When an oxygen atom is excited, it moves to a higher energy level and can then emit energy as it returns to its ground state. This emitted energy is in the form of a specific resonant wavelength, which is unique to the energy level of the oxygen atom.

2. How do oxygen energy levels affect the Earth's atmosphere?

Oxygen energy levels play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's atmosphere. The absorption and emission of energy by oxygen atoms help to maintain the temperature of the Earth, making it habitable for living organisms. Additionally, oxygen atoms help to filter out harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun, protecting life on Earth.

3. Can oxygen energy levels be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, oxygen energy levels can be manipulated through various processes such as photosynthesis or combustion. Photosynthesis is the process by which plants use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and glucose. Combustion, on the other hand, involves the rapid release of energy from a fuel source, often in the form of heat and light.

4. How do scientists measure oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths?

Scientists use various techniques to measure oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths, including spectrophotometry and spectroscopy. Spectrophotometry measures the absorption of light by a substance, while spectroscopy measures the emission of light. These techniques help scientists determine the specific energy levels and resonant wavelengths of oxygen atoms.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths?

Yes, understanding oxygen energy levels and resonant wavelengths has many practical applications. For example, it is essential in fields such as atmospheric science, climate change research, and space exploration. It also has practical applications in industries such as energy production, where the manipulation and control of oxygen energy levels can be used to generate electricity or power engines.