P is the sum of 2 consecutive squares

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Squares Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that an odd prime number $p$ can be expressed as the sum of two consecutive squares if and only if it has the form of $\dfrac{u^2+1}{2}$, where $u$ is an odd integer. It is shown that this is true whether or not $p$ is prime.
alexmahone
Let $p$ be an odd prime.

Prove that $p$ is the sum of 2 consecutive squares i.e. $p=a^2+(a+1)^2$ if and only if $p$ has the form $p=\dfrac{u^2+1}{2}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I got it.

$p=a^2+(a+1)^2=2a^2+2a+1$

$2p=4a^2+4a+2=(2a+1)^2+1$

$p=\dfrac{(2a+1)^2+1}{2}=\dfrac{u^2+1}{2}$ where $u=2a+1$

Could someone confirm? I didn't use the fact that $p$ is prime.

Alexmahone said:
I think I got it.

$p=a^2+(a+1)^2=2a^2+2a+1$

$2p=4a^2+4a+2=(2a+1)^2+1$

$p=\dfrac{(2a+1)^2+1}{2}=\dfrac{u^2+1}{2}$ where $u=2a+1$

Could someone confirm? I didn't use the fact that $p$ is prime.

above is true whether p is prime or not as you proved it

as an example a= 6

$p = a^2 + (a+1)^2 = 6^2+7^2 = 85 = \dfrac{1}{2}(13^2+1)$ and 85 is not prime

Related to P is the sum of 2 consecutive squares

1. What is the definition of "P is the sum of 2 consecutive squares"?

"P is the sum of 2 consecutive squares" is a mathematical expression that means a number (P) can be expressed as the sum of two consecutive perfect squares (numbers multiplied by themselves). For example, 65 is the sum of 8^2 and 9^2 because 64 + 81 = 65.

2. What is the significance of the sum of 2 consecutive squares?

The significance of the sum of 2 consecutive squares lies in its relationship to prime numbers. This expression can help identify prime numbers because only certain numbers can be expressed in this way. For example, all prime numbers above 2 can be expressed as the sum of two consecutive squares.

3. How can you prove that a number is the sum of 2 consecutive squares?

There are several ways to prove that a number is the sum of 2 consecutive squares, including algebraic manipulation and using the Pythagorean theorem. One method is to take the square root of the number and check if it is a whole number. If it is, then the number can be expressed as the sum of two consecutive squares.

4. What are some examples of numbers that are the sum of 2 consecutive squares?

Some examples of numbers that are the sum of 2 consecutive squares include 5, 17, 145, and 289. These can be expressed as 1^2 + 2^2, 4^2 + 1^2, 8^2 + 1^2, and 17^2 + 0^2, respectively.

5. How is "P is the sum of 2 consecutive squares" related to other mathematical concepts?

This expression is related to various mathematical concepts, such as prime numbers, perfect squares, and the Pythagorean theorem. It is also a special case of the more general expression "P is the sum of n consecutive squares". Additionally, it has connections to number theory and modular arithmetic.