Pain/Damage - If I dropped an ant

• Thread starter MajorComplex
  • Start date
In summary: Pain is subjective; how do you intend to measure the pain experienced by an ant?I didn't ask for his ignorance; simply telling me where it should be would be more helpful than anything.
MajorComplex
Say we had a six foot wall, I jumped off and measured the pain/damage received because of the fall, how would that differ to an ant if it was dropped from the same height? Because of it's size/weight difference...

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this question answered by Relativity? I hope you're not using the layman connotation of that term. Forget what Einstein said; Relativity is not about how it feels when you're sitting on a hot stove.

Last edited:
Could we tone down the language please Complex? Otherwise your thread is liable to be locked. Gokul was just enquiring why you though relativity should be able to answer you question as opposed to classical physics. I don't think this question is answerable anyway, since pain is subjective; how do you intend to measure the pain experienced by an ant?

I didn't ask for his ignorance; simply telling me where it should be would be more helpful than anything...

That's why I put pain/damage... I'm just interested to find out how free fall effects different sized life forms when it hits a surface...

Would it's difference in size/weight effect how damaging the fall would be to it compared to us?

Last edited:
MajorComplex said:
I didn't ask for his ignorance
Take it easy with the personal attacks. How am I to know that you didn't have some non-obvious reason for posting this under Relativity? Which is why I asked you.

1] An 2mm ant's surface-to-weight ratio is on the order of a million times greater than a human's (1000^2). This means that when ants fall, they reach terminal velocity quickly, and literally float down.
2] An object's ability to withstand crushing is based on its cross-sectional structures (i.e. legs). An ant's cross-sectional area-to-weight ratio is also about a million times greater than a human's. This means it can withstand more weight (proportionally) before collapsing.

Likewise, an elephant's area-to-weight ratio is a few orders of magnitude smaller than a human's. An elephant cannot jump, and if it tried, it would break its legs.

Why? The square-cube law.

Let's leave the elephant alone and instread create a giant that is exactly human-shaped, only 12 feet tall.

Code:
Critter  Height (1D)  leg diam.    X-sectional area of leg (2D)   weight (3D)
Human     6'              5"                5^2 = 25"               200 lbs.
[U]Giant    12'             10"               10^2 = 100"             1600 lbs[/U]
         2x               2x                    4x                    8x
Notet that the legs of the giant are four times as thick in cross-section but they have to support eight times as much weight. They are near the breaking point. A fall from one foot might break a giant's legs.

Last edited:
the bigger they are the harder they fall holds true then eh?

"I like big fat men like you. When they fall, they make more noise. And sometimes they never get up."

Tuco was right!

What happens to an ant if it is dropped?

The impact of the drop can vary depending on the height and surface the ant is dropped on. In most cases, the ant will survive the fall and continue on with its daily activities. However, if the drop is from a significant height or onto a hard surface, the ant may experience injuries or even death.

Can an ant feel pain from a drop?

Ants have a complex nervous system and are capable of experiencing pain. However, their threshold for pain is much lower than larger animals. The impact of the drop may cause discomfort or injury to the ant, but it is unlikely to cause intense pain.

How does the size of an ant affect its ability to withstand a drop?

The smaller the ant, the less force it can withstand from a drop. This is due to their smaller body mass and less sturdy exoskeleton. Smaller ants are more likely to be injured or killed from a drop compared to larger ants.

What factors can influence an ant's survival after being dropped?

The height and surface of the drop are major factors in an ant's survival. Additionally, the ant's size, age, and health can also play a role. Ants that are already injured or sick may have a lower chance of surviving a drop compared to healthy ants.

How does an ant's body structure help it survive a drop?

Ants have a strong exoskeleton that protects their internal organs from impact. They also have the ability to spread their legs and increase their surface area, which helps to slow down their fall and lessen the impact. Additionally, ants have a low center of gravity, making them more stable and less likely to flip or tumble during a drop.