Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Palu supershear quake/tsunami Sept 2018

1. Feb 4, 2019 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Popular article: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...hquake-supersonic-supershear-speed-indonesia/
    Nature.com paywall/abstract:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0308-8

After analysis of the quake centered near Palu Indonesia that killed 2000+ people, it was determined that the velocity at which the tremor propagated the tear in the earth, this was "no ordinary earthquake". It is termed a supershear event.

Supershear refers to the velocity of propagation of the rupture. These are rare. This one had lots of seismogaphs listening. Maybe our @davenn can point out this phenomenon using his output as recorded on his machine.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2019 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They must be ! ... Supershear is not a term I have heard of before

Hmmm, not sure how these would be manifest on a seismogram.
    My initial thought would maybe a higher frequency of the P ( and maybe also the S) waves due to the higher velocity of the propagation of the rupture.

I would have to try and see if there is a difference in P wave frequencies of that event compared to others with a similar distance from my recorder.

Dave

4. Feb 4, 2019 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

If you can access Nature Geoscience, then I assume there is methodology in the primary article.

[guess]The idea is that the point of emanation of the S-waves would be moving really fast relative to one station. It also mentions "bunching up" of multiple waves onto the wavefront.[/guess]

So possibly it takes multiple stations to discern a rapidly moving location. The pop sci article mentions 9300 ft/s.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. Feb 6, 2019 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor
    2018 Award

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?