Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Airplane

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    I got bored, and I found this cool sheet that you can print out and make your own paper airplane. It happens to look almost exactly like the airplane I fly, so I made it. Pretty neat!
    (I printed it on medium card stock paper I had laying around). I added a few extras like the antennas and string like on the real aircraft. YES, I WAS THAT BORED TODAY.

(Big sheet found here: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Runway/8605/Cassna_Model.jpg )

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! When I read the thread title, that is NOT what I had in mind as a paper airplane! Pretty amazing looking.
  4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    That's a seriously cool paper airplane. And what a great job of building it given the size. It's sitting on a spool of thread, right?
  5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it work?
  6. Jan 13, 2008 #5
    No its just paper. Its about 9.5" in wingspan. I just printed out that paper I linked above in my printer, cut it out, and glued it together. If you have a big printer you could make a big one that would look pretty cool.
  7. Jan 13, 2008 #6
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  8. Jan 13, 2008 #7
    Thats a pretty sexy looking paper airplane Cyrus.
  9. Jan 13, 2008 #8

Gold Member

Wow. Some of the other models they have there are pretty cool too!
  10. Jan 13, 2008 #9

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, but does it fly?
  11. Jan 13, 2008 #10
    The very first picture does :tongue2:
  12. Jan 13, 2008 #11
    Ha ha, Pan-Am? Either the model was made a long time ago, or they made it a Pan-Am jet to avoid trademark, copyright, etc.
  13. Jan 13, 2008 #12
    ........? (You should look at the other pictures binzing)
  14. Jan 14, 2008 #13
    I am totally going to build one. Great work Cyrus!
  15. Jan 14, 2008 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like this one: ACE

Alas, mine is years old and has been stuffed into boxes by ignorant coworkers during office moves. The solar arrays are drooping badly and the sensor platform is slowly separating from the bus. I'm going to have to make a new one if I ever get a round tuit.

Remember! If you've never used scissors before, you should make this under adult supervision!

You can make some other paper models, as well:
    Other NASA models

Best is Swift. Remember to sing along with the song when you're done.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  16. Jan 14, 2008 #15
    I started making a paper airbus, but its not working out well so Ill have to start over. I think the trick is to use glossy card paper. The one I have is matte. When the elmers glue gets on your fingers it starts to become sticky and pick up dirt. It transfers this tacky glue to the white parts unintentionally and ruins the finish. So im going to find a different glue and paper this time around.

The nice thing is, all I have to do is reprint things. This airplane has 20 pages of instructions and 20 pages of things to cut out.

I have a few plastic models I glued together and painted a few years ago. These are plastic glued together and painted with spray paint, brush, water decals and aluminum foil (all the silver bits are not paint, but thin cigarette foil brushed on).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  17. Jan 14, 2008 #16
  18. Jan 14, 2008 #17
    Same website.

Beware, its a LOT of cutting. You are going to want a pair of scissors you use to cut your finger nails because its small. Big scissors wont work on all pieces. Also, let the ink on the paper dry before u glue things. I have found that the glue dissolves the ink in the paper and makes it run.
  19. Jan 14, 2008 #18
    This is one I have printed off just haven't cut a single thing yet N1.

For Cyrus if you want a gloss finish I'd keep the mat paper then when you are finished airbrush the entire model with a 50/50 diluted gloss acrylic finish. It will give you the gloss finish you want and it will also help protect the finished model.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?