1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper bridge project

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Paper bridge project !!!

hi i have a paper bridge project coming up and need some help making a design that will hold the most. the rules are the bridge has to made with one sheet of lined paper and no adhesives are aloud including tape and glue. the bridge needs to span 12 cms and hold as much as possible. past designs have held more than 20 lbs. any help will be much appreciated

thanx,
    stefan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Paper bridge project !!!

I assume the single sheet of paper must be foldeded into shape and neither torn nor cut?

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

it can be cut but that would ruin the integrity of the paper

i would make one that looks like the letter A

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4

it can be cut or torn,

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5

how would i make it into an A and hold as much as possible?

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6

Think about what qualities the paper has, What qualities does the tape/string have? (edit: nm you aren't allowed them, in that case research joints).Also think about how bridges are loaded.

Hint: It depends on the shape of the material.

As you've stated this is a project, I'll help you as though it were a homework question, so no freee answers :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. Sep 23, 2010 #7

Consider the length of your bridge. Are there any specifications on ground clearance or number of points touching the ground?

9. Sep 23, 2010 #8

no the only rule is that it has to span 12cm

10. Sep 24, 2010 #9
  11. Sep 24, 2010 #10

Lok

12. Sep 24, 2010 #11

Can you lick it? ;)

Kidding; the easiest way would be to carefully cut a slit and use a T-shaped piece at the end of the roll and slip that through a horizontal slit cut in the sidewall of the roll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook