Parabola (Horizontal) - finding vertex, focus and equation of line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 14K views
zebra1707
Messages
106
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use completing the square method to rewrite the equation of the parabola
y^2 – 4y – 44 = 16x in the form (y-y0)^2 = 4A(x-x0)

Hence find:

a) the coordinates of the vertex
b) the coordinates of the focus
c) the equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x at this point I thought that the only way that I could get an equation whereby I could complete the square (and in the form required) was to add 48 to both sides of the equation.

which would give me y^2 - 4y + 4 = 16x + 48 and I could complete the square and in the form required.

(y - 2)^2 = 16(x+3)

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S(6, -3)
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = -3


Homework Equations



As above


The Attempt at a Solution



As above - can someone confirm that I am on the right track with this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The square piece which seems to be needed for adjustment purposes is (-4/2)^2, so you would add and subtract +4.

One of your steps should include something of lefthand side as
(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 4 - 44 which you should find by inspection contains a factorable expression, ultimately allowing you to find x as a function of y, in standard form ( I did not show all of the steps or full equations).
 
Hi there - many thanks for the assistance.

Just so that I have this right.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x

y^2 - 4y + 4 - 44 = 16x + 4

(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 44 = 16x + 4

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 4 + 44

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 48

(y-2)^2 = 16(x + 3) I don't think that I need to simplify this any further?


Cheers Petra


symbolipoint said:
The square piece which seems to be needed for adjustment purposes is (-4/2)^2, so you would add and subtract +4.

One of your steps should include something of lefthand side as
(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 4 - 44 which you should find by inspection contains a factorable expression, ultimately allowing you to find x as a function of y, in standard form ( I did not show all of the steps or full equations).
 
Are these correct?

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3) - No (-3, 2)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S( )
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = -3

zebra1707 said:
Hi there - many thanks for the assistance.

Just so that I have this right.

y^2 - 4y - 44 = 16x

y^2 - 4y + 4 - 44 = 16x + 4

(y^2 - 4y + 4) - 44 = 16x + 4

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 4 + 44

(y-2)^2 = 16x + 48

(y-2)^2 = 16(x + 3) I don't think that I need to simplify this any further?


Cheers Petra
 
Are these correct?

*Vertex therefore would be (2, -3) - No (-3, 2)
*Focal length A = 4
*Focus S is 4 units to the right of the Vertex S(1,2)
*Equation of the line that passes through the focus and parallel to the y-axis x = 1
 
Your algebra steps seem good, but you did not finish. Your first goal was determine how to complete the square. Your second goal is to find x as a function of y and have this be in standard form. Reading the vertex from the result would then be rendered easily.
 
Hi there

The question asks to "rewrite the equation" of the parabola in the form (y-yo)^2 = 4A(x-xo)
and from there find the vertex etc... From the point that I have reached I can Identify the vertex.

So I am not sure that I understand you second statement? Just a bit confused.

Cheers Petra d


symbolipoint said:
Your algebra steps seem good, but you did not finish. Your first goal was determine how to complete the square. Your second goal is to find x as a function of y and have this be in standard form. Reading the vertex from the result would then be rendered easily.