Paradox of star - mesh transform ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation involving a node connected to n ports through n resistors, one of which is a negative resistance. Using a transformation method, it is found that the equivalent mesh representation of the circuit is a shortcut of all nodes, resulting in a zero impedance. However, this raises questions about the validity of the transformation and the potential difference between nodes in the original network. The conversation ends with a request for ideas and confirmation of the applicability of equivalence transforms for negative resistances.
sergv
Dear All,

I have encountered the following situation:
Given a node that is connected through n resistors to n ports.
One if the resistors is a negative resistance and equals to minus of all other resistors in parallel.
[itex]\frac{1}{R_n} =- \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{R_i}[/itex]
Using the well known star - mesh transformation, I get
[itex]R_{k,j} = R_k R_j ( \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{R_i} )[/itex]
that equals to 0, due to the definition of [itex]R_n[/itex].
[itex]R_{k,j} = 0 [/itex]

Therefore, the equivalent mesh representation of this circuit is a shortcut of all nodes.
It makes sense from one side, because the total circuit has zero impedance, but, from the other side, this transform says that all nodes should be of equal voltage. The last one is not true, because in the original network the nodes may have different potentials.

What do I miss ?
Any ideas ?
Are the equivalence transforms applicable for negative resistances ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have cleverly found a case of zero divided by zero. That is undefined and this is not an electrical question.

1. What is the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform?

The Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform is a theoretical concept in physics that explores the idea of transforming a star into a mesh structure. It is based on the idea that all matter is made up of tiny particles, and by rearranging these particles, one could potentially turn a massive, dense star into a lightweight, porous mesh.

2. Is the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform possible?

At this point in time, the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform is purely a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. It requires highly advanced technology and a deep understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, which we currently do not possess.

3. What would be the implications of successfully performing a Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform?

If the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform were possible, it could have significant implications for space travel and exploration. Turning a massive star into a lightweight mesh structure could potentially make it easier to transport and manipulate in space, opening up new possibilities for space exploration and colonization.

4. How does the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform tie into other theories of matter and energy?

The Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform is related to other theories such as quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. It challenges our current understanding of matter and energy and raises questions about the true nature of the universe.

5. Are there any current research or experiments being conducted on the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform?

There is currently no research or experiments being conducted on the Paradox of Star - Mesh Transform, as it is still a purely theoretical concept. However, scientists continue to explore the potential of this idea and its implications for our understanding of the universe.