• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Parallel plate capacitor and insulating material

• Thread starter tarellan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has plates of 10 cm^2 area separated by a 0.10mm layer of glass insulation with resistivity rho = 1.2x10^13 omega*m and dielectric constant k= 5.6. Because of the finite resistivity, current can leak through the insulation.

How do I Show that it depends only on the properties of the insulating material and not on its dimensions?

Homework Equations

C= emf(A/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the time constant for this capacitor to discharge through its insulation. T= 590s

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has plates of 10 cm^2 area separated by a 0.10mm layer of glass insulation with resistivity rho = 1.2x10^13 omega*m and dielectric constant k= 5.6. Because of the finite resistivity, current can leak through the insulation.

How do I Show that it depends only on the properties of the insulating material and not on its dimensions?

Homework Equations

C= emf(A/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the time constant for this capacitor to discharge through its insulation. T= 590s
Consider the resistivity

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/resis.html#c2

Consider too the equation you have for capacitance.

Notice anything about how - when you combine the 2 - the RC has a tendancy not to be dependent on the cross sectional area?