1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameterize a union of circles

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]C=\lbrace(x,y) \in R^2: x^2+y^2=1 \rbrace \cup \lbrace (x,y) \in R^2: (x-1)^2+y^2=1 \rbrace [/itex]. Give a parameterization of the curve C.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how valid it is but I tried to use a 'piecewise parameterisation', defining it to be [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{\pi}{6}), sin(t+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex] and [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})+1, sin(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [2\pi, 4\pi][/itex].

So it traces out the first circle out at the top intersection and then the second. But I'm not sure how to make this smooth at the intersection, and one-to-one, as I'm quite sure it has to be. This is the best I could come up with.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the coordinates of the points of intersection ?

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You would parameterise the one circle as x = r cos(t), etc., and the other as x = 1+r cos(t). How would you write the condition that x is either r cos(t) or 1+r cos(t)?

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4
    @SammyS: The circles intersect at [itex]x=\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

@haruspex: As a hybrid function/parameterization? So x=cos(t) for t in some interval and x=cos(t)+1 for t in another interval?

Would this mean we are doing two separate parameterizations and so they don't have to be smooth at the intersection?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted