1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation for a tangent line (multi vars)

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the parametric equation for the line tangent to the curve:

x=t^3-1, y=t^4+1, z=t

at the point (26, 82, 3).

Use the variable t for your parameter.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

dx/dt=3t^2, dy/dt=4t^3, dz/dt=1

I got then that

x=26+(3*26^2)t
    y=82+(4*82^3)t
    z=3+t

and only the z component is correct. Where am I going wrong. Any help is really appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look, at your given point t=3. When you are working out the d/dt parts why are you substituting x and y for t?

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    You should not plug back your given point coordinates into "t" in your derived equations. Your value of t is constant. And technically it's given in your problem.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4
    I substituted x and y into my derivatives to find the slope of the that component of the line at that point. I then multiply it by t, and add x and y for intercepts or to start from the origin.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

t is t. x is x. y is y. z happens to be t. You got lucky on the z component because z=t. Just put t in where your equations say 't'. Don't substitute x for t just because it happens to be the 'x' component.

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6
    I don't know why I'm so hung up on this question.

For the x component for instance,

it the curve is t^3-1, the slope of the tangent is 3t^2. If we're talking about the slope of the tangent at 26 in the curve, why wouldn't we plug in 26 for t in dx/dt?

What is the next step I should take after finding the derivative?

8. Feb 7, 2010 #7
    Oh jesus. t=3 right. That can't change.

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks all for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook