1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation of the intersection between surfaces

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Parametric equation of the intersection between surfaces

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the following surfaces:
    S: z = x^2 + y^2
    T: z = 1 - y^2

Find a parametric equation of the curve representing the intersection of S and T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The intersection will be:
    x^2 + y^2 = 1 - y^2
    x = (1 - 2y^2)^0.5

At this point, I plug in the following parametrization:
    y = sin(t)

Which yields:

x = (1 - 2(sin(t))^2)^0.5
    y = sin(t)
    z = 1-(sin(t))^2 (from the equation for T)

with t = 0..2*Pi.

Judging from a Maple plot this seems to make sense; the curve is a projected ellipse, but due to the x term I have to split it into two separate segments. I'm pretty sure I should be able to use a more elegant solution with a single curve, but I haven't been able to figure it out - any help would be welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In a situation like that it is better not to solve for one of the variables.

Instead, change x2+ y2= 1- y2 to x2+ 2y2= 1, the equation of an ellipse. Then use the "standard" parameterization of an ellipse: x= cos(t), y= sin(t)/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then, of course, you can have either [itex]z= cos^2(t)+ (1/2)sin^2(t)[/itex] or [itex]z= 1- (1/2)sin^2(t)[/itex].
  4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    Great, thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?