• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Parametric Equations - Have solution, need clarification.

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

x = 2cos(t)
y = sin(t)
z = t

At the point (0,1,pi/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r(t) = <2cos(t),sin(t),t>
r'(t) = <-2sin(t),cos(t),1>

The parameter value corresponding to the point (0,1,pi/2) is t=pi/2, so the tangent vector there is r'(pi/2) = <-2,0,1>. The tangent line through (0,1,pi/2) parallel to the vector <-2,0,1>, so its parametric equations are:

x=-2t
y=1
z = (pi/2)+t

I know this is correct, but the part in bold is what I do not understand. Why does the value of t=pi/2 correspond to the point (0,1,pi/2)?

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

x = 2cos(t)
y = sin(t)
z = t

At the point (0,1,pi/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r(t) = <2cos(t),sin(t),t>
r'(t) = <-2sin(t),cos(t),1>

The parameter value corresponding to the point (0,1,pi/2) is t=pi/2, so the tangent vector there is r'(pi/2) = <-2,0,1>. The tangent line through (0,1,pi/2) parallel to the vector <-2,0,1>, so its parametric equations are:

x=-2t
y=1
z = (pi/2)+t

I know this is correct, but the part in bold is what I do not understand. Why does the value of t=pi/2 correspond to the point (0,1,pi/2)?
What happens if you calculate r(pi/2) in r(t) = <2cos(t),sin(t),t>? Would any other value of t work in the 3rd component?

Ooh okay, makes sense. Need to just find the component that makes r(t) equal the given point. Thanks!

Actually no, that doesn't work for my problem.

(Now i'm doing the actual question I have to solve instead of the book example)

x = 1+2sqrt(t)
y = t^4 + t
z = t^4 - t

(3,2,0)

I have r(t) = <1+2sqrt(t),t^4 + t,t^4 - t>, but no point (3, 2 or 0) will make this vector (3, 2, 0). What am I doing wrong?

Char. Limit
Gold Member
Have you tried t=1?

Oh, so I can pick ANY number that makes r(t) equal to the given point?

Char. Limit
Gold Member
well, yeah. Although if you have multiple t that make r(t) fit the point, you've got a pretty cool function.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In parametric equations, x= f(t), y= g(t), z= h(t), the parameter, t, is not necessarily equal to any of x, y, or z. It is a completely different parameter.

Sometimes, back in two dimensions, if we have, say y= f(x), we use x itself as parameter. That may have confused you.

Here, you want [itex](1+2\sqrt(t),t^4 + t,t^4 - t)= (3, 2, 0)[/itex] so we must have [itex]1+ 2\sqrt{t}= 3[/itex], [itex]t^4+ t= 2[/itex], and [itex]t^4- t= 0[/itex] all for the same t. We could, for example, solve [itex]t^4- t= t(t^3- 1)= t(t- 1)(t^2+ t+ 1)= 0[/itex] to see that t must be 0 or 1. t= 0 does not satisfy either [itex]1+ 2\sqrt{t}= 3[/itex] nor [itex]t^4+ t= 2[/itex] but t= 1 does.