1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Hacks (I have the solution but something has gone wrong)

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Check Stokes Theorem for the Vector Field F(x,y,z)=(z,x,y), on the region defined by z=x^2-y^2 and x^2+y^2<=1.

Attempt at Solution:

Should be pretty easy problem; I tried two parameterizations, one worked and the other didn't... but I feel like they are equivalent. They were as follows: The boundary of the surface, defined when x^2+y^2 = 1, can be given by the paremetrization:

r(t)=(t, Sqrt[1-t^2], 2t^2-1)
    r(t)=(Cos [Theta], Sin[Theta], Cos[2Theta]

Then the line integral along this path Should just be... the integral dt, from 0 to 1, or the integral dTheta from 0 to 2Pi of the dot product of F(r(t)) and r'(t), where r'(t) is given by

r'(t)=(1, -t/Sqrt[1-t^2], 4t)
    r'(t)=(-Sin[Theta], Cos[Theta], -2Sin[2Theta]

Now, using the second parameterization, I got the value of this integral to be Pi. This is the right Answer. Using the first, I got the answer 1-Pi/4... but aren't they exactly equivalent?

I also evaluated the Surface integral of the Curls ((Curl F = 1,1,1)), and there got Pi using both co-ordinate systems (The integrals running from -Sqrt[1-x^2], to Sqrt[1-x^2] dy and -1 t0 1 dx, and from -1 to 1 dr and 0 to 2Pi dTheta, respectively)

Could someone help me figure out what is wrong with my first parameterization?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't work this out in detail, but one thing I notice is that [itex]y= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] only gives half of boundary: the half with y> 0. The two parameterizations are NOT equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook